Sign in to follow this  

1" cut in rear tire.

Is this just par for course riding on rocks? Or did I hit some embedded metal or something?

I had no choice but to ride the 12 miles back home. Fortunately the tire stayed on and the rim looks good.  But I'm curious, if I had a tube, would it be worth installing to limp home?  Or is it just going to get a hole in it. 

If I was running a bib, I wouldn't have had to limp home, but I still would have to replace the tire before the next ride, right?

The bike wobbled from side to side all the freaking way home - man, my back is sore.

split.JPG

Pretty buzzed right now, but I think I see a screw driver in you tire.

• Like 10

Pretty buzzed right now, but I think I see a screw driver in you tire.

That's the only tool I carry.  I tried to screw it back together, but it didn't work. 

• Like 4

A little tip I learned from my uncle a few years ago; when your tire goes flat you can use zip ties to secure it to the rim in 8 or 10 locations all the way around the wheel. It won't keep it from popping the bead loose but it will keep the tire with the rim and may minimize some of the wobble you experienced. I've ridden pretty far back to the truck like that and its sketchy but it works if you take it easy. As far as the repair I don't think a new tube would have lasted as long in that tire as it would in a brand new tire due to the cut. I've never cut a tire on rocks though im sure it's possible.

• Like 2

the roughness of the puncture makes me think it was a rock, typically metal leaves a cleaner cut...i'd patch it but save as a spare...

Thanks for the replies!  Got a new tire coming and I will see if anyone local is willing to repair the old tire - it only has about 3 hours on it.

I had a bunch of large zip tires in my pack for this express purpose, but didn't think to use them (doh!).

It must have been a nasty ass sharp rock to cut through the tire like that. 

Edited by Colorado^