Sign in to follow this  

Bike got jacked :-(

Stayed the night at my girlfriends last night and some tweaker stole my bike this morning, hot wired it and gave it a unique look, didn't make it very far and a cop pulled up behind him and he took off and crashed threw a intersection and into some bushes, cops caught him hiding in the bushes. I have full coverage so I hope everything gets coveredImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691434.532372.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691450.487119.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691463.212601.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691476.987812.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691490.043958.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691513.572296.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691526.280179.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691536.757360.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691552.931573.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691576.302836.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691599.409500.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691611.714398.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691628.525622.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691640.246599.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691653.595748.jpg

Stayed the night at my girlfriends last night and some tweaker stole my bike this morning, hot wired it and gave it a unique look, didn't make it very far and a cop pulled up behind him and he took off and crashed threw a intersection and into some bushes, cops caught him hiding in the bushes. I have full coverage so I hope everything gets coveredattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691434.532372.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691450.487119.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691463.212601.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691476.987812.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691490.043958.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691513.572296.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691526.280179.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691536.757360.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691552.931573.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691576.302836.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691599.409500.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691611.714398.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691628.525622.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691640.246599.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406691653.595748.jpg

The dirtbag sure did some work on it didn't he? Damn.......glad you have insurance. Sure hope you get it back to the way it was...... :(

• Like 3

Good luck but normally only stock parts are covered under insurance claims.

Sometime thats a good thing, from past experiences OEM stuff is way more expensive than aftermarket parts. Hope it all works out for you man.
  • Like 3

Good luck but normally only stock parts are covered under insurance claims.

that would be fine, only thing that they really messed up that's aftermarket is the graphics. My buddy already said he would print me some new ones for free

Thanks guys.. Me too :/

that would be fine, only thing that they really messed up that's aftermarket is the graphics. My buddy already said he would print me some new ones for free

Thanks guys.. Me too :/

I was gonna say, I'd be most pissed about them removing the one-off graphics. Glad you got the bike back though. On the plus side, you were just talking about how beat up your wheels were, I bet you could get insurance to cover a new set....

• Like 2

Also not sure who you have insurance through but my Geico policy comes standard with a 2k coverage for aftermarket accessories.

Edited by ospreyfe55
  • Like 3

I was gonna say, I'd be most pissed about them removing the one-off graphics. Glad you got the bike back though. On the plus side, you were just talking about how beat up your wheels were, I bet you could get insurance to cover a new set....

ya for sure, I didn't mind my wheels a little scratches but now there really scratched!

Also not sure who you have insurance though but my Geico policy comes standard with a 2k coverage for aftermarket accessories.

ya I know with all state they covered up to $1k but now I have farmers so I don't know

My advice would be to spend an evening in the garage and tally up all the damage *YOU* find.

Axles, forks, triple clamps, scraped plastics, levers, hoses/cables/wiring, footpegs... Like flip through the fiche and look at all the parts on each page, copy part numbers into a spreadsheet, and take that in when you have the shop do the estimate on your bike.

When I had my accident, I did a quick once-over and mentally noted what I could see in about 15 minutes.  Took it into a local dealer, they had it for a few days, and came back with their estimate.  I looked the estimate over before the clerk walked off to pull it out of the shop... and they were missing a LOT of stuff.... like the taco'd front rim.  Told them to take it back and do it right.  Waited another day or two for them to do it again... the 2nd estimate was a lot more on par with what I had expected (about $500 more than the initial estimate they had done). 

Took the estimate, took the check.  Big parts order in, and as I was stripping parts off the bike I found several more things bent/broken... like the front axle and triple clamp.  Fortunately the forks were undamaged.  I was able to find used replacement parts for a good deal, but it was still "out of pocket" rather than in the insurance check like it should have been.  I didn't lose too much out of that deal, but I still ended up spending more than I got out of the check (plus my deductible about a year later, after the court settlement).

I certainly wasn't going to trust that shop with the repairs of my bike if they missed the bent front wheel in their estimate. 

Learned a lot about what coverage I didn't have after that one. :\

• Like 2

My advice would be to spend an evening in the garage and tally up all the damage *YOU* find.

Axles, forks, triple clamps, scraped plastics, levers, hoses/cables/wiring, footpegs... Like flip through the fiche and look at all the parts on each page, copy part numbers into a spreadsheet, and take that in when you have the shop do the estimate on your bike.

When I had my accident, I did a quick once-over and mentally noted what I could see in about 15 minutes. Took it into a local dealer, they had it for a few days, and came back with their estimate. I looked the estimate over before the clerk walked off to pull it out of the shop... and they were missing a LOT of stuff.... like the taco'd front rim. Told them to take it back and do it right. Waited another day or two for them to do it again... the 2nd estimate was a lot more on par with what I had expected (about $500 more than the initial estimate they had done).

Took the estimate, took the check. Big parts order in, and as I was stripping parts off the bike I found several more things bent/broken... like the front axle and triple clamp. Fortunately the forks were undamaged. I was able to find used replacement parts for a good deal, but it was still "out of pocket" rather than in the insurance check like it should have been. I didn't lose too much out of that deal, but I still ended up spending more than I got out of the check (plus my deductible about a year later, after the court settlement).

I certainly wasn't going to trust that shop with the repairs of my bike if they missed the bent front wheel in their estimate.

Learned a lot about what coverage I didn't have after that one. :

great info thanks :)

Glad you got it back and are insured but what i want to know is if the dirtbag got hurt in the process? Im not exactly the "eye for an eye" type but i never mind when they let the k-9 unit drag these guys out of the bushes.

I'm sure he did a little bit, he was hiding in bushes right where he crashed so I'm guessing he couldn't move real fast. But who knows the idiot also tried to cut my hand gaurds in half with a knife and melt my plastics off :-/

Oh man! That's rough!

I hate applying decals so I feel your pain.

Some weird damage and "alterations". What is the brown "paint" on the tank and fenders?

I'm surprised your insurance just didn't write it off and tell you to go get a new one.

I've got full replacement value for my bike for two years after new.

So suzuki better hurry up and release the DRZ450SM with fuel injection, 6 speed and the oil sight glass.

• Like 1

Oh man! That's rough!

I hate applying decals so I feel your pain.

Some weird damage and "alterations". What is the brown "paint" on the tank and fenders?

I'm surprised your insurance just didn't write it off and tell you to go get a new one.

I've got full replacement value for my bike for two years after new.

So suzuki better hurry up and release the DRZ450SM with fuel injection, 6 speed and the oil sight glass.

I didn't have time to turn it into insurance today, going to call them in the morning. It's a yellow-ish gold sharpie.. Guess he was trying to make it look like a different bike. He "tagged" the front number plate ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406698137.808676.jpg

How many hours did the thief have your bike??? Must have pulled an all nighter and crashed into the bushes more than once. Did he get thrown in jail? Did you get a call from the cops or did you find out where it was when you called to report it stolen? Be sure to go after the thief in court for restition. Make him pay for all the damage that insurance don't cover. The thief has got to pay some way...

• Like 3

When I had my accident, I did a quick once-over and mentally noted what I could see in about 15 minutes.  Took it into a local dealer, they had it for a few days, and came back with their estimate.  I looked the estimate over before the clerk walked off to pull it out of the shop... and they were missing a LOT of stuff.... like the taco'd front rim.  Told them to take it back and do it right.  Waited another day or two for them to do it again... the 2nd estimate was a lot more on par with what I had expected (about $500 more than the initial estimate they had done). 

Took the estimate, took the check.  Big parts order in, and as I was stripping parts off the bike I found several more things bent/broken... like the front axle and triple clamp.  Fortunately the forks were undamaged.  I was able to find used replacement parts for a good deal, but it was still "out of pocket" rather than in the insurance check like it should have been.  I didn't lose too much out of that deal, but I still ended up spending more than I got out of the check (plus my deductible about a year later, after the court settlement).

Learned a lot about what coverage I didn't have after that one. :\

Difference being… when a shop does the work and uncovers more damage they can get the insurance company to readjust the claim.  Whereas for the customer they'll just cut you a check once.  I would show the insurance company an estimate with parts/labor that way you can pocket the labor or use it when things are unexpectedly found.

that sucks, as someone else said better to go through the whole bike

good chance to give it a makeover, sure was a nice looking dizzer before!