Sign in to follow this  

Good 2 stroke trail bike?

Well I have a yz250f and a ttr230 and my ttr230 wins hands down in the trail section because around here its really tight trails and usually pretty muddy. I'm really wanting to add my first 2t to the mix. The YZF has too much wheelspin and if it is really muddy, so does my 230. I want a nice trail 2 stroke that can also race between my friends who have tracks and race. I really want a YZ125 but heard theyre horrible for hill climbs and have tons of wheelspin. Was maybe thinking a KTM 300 exc 05 or later but my budget is $2000 after I sell my 230 because ill have another trail bike! Up to any suggestions 05 or later, $2000 or lower. Good for trails and a bit of track with enough kick to keep me happy for a while and beat my friends at the track! Thanks!

I honestly only ride 4 strokes in trails. And what you are describing sounds what I ride, the XR200R is a nice bike for tight trails and I love it in the mud plus It only weighs about 220 pounds. When Modded it can be a blast and can climb good size hills. I ride mine and I'm 160 at 5'10" and find it very comfortable and fun. I find keeping up with my friends crf230s not bad at all.

Well this changes things a little from your last thread.

I'd look for a clean KDX 200 or 220. They can be had for little money, they are very dependable, and are very torquey especially for a 2t.

Depending on how fast you are I hear the suspension, particularly the front forks aren't up to the task but I'm not fast enough to worry about it lol.

A KDX will be my next bike. I had one about 12 years ago. Wish I still had it. It's like the XR400 of 2 strokes. Not quite XR torque, but has enough of a hit to make it interesting especially in the higher rpm where the XR has already signed off.

Around here a clean example can be had for $1500, some even closer to $1000. The only thing is they quit making them in 2006. They were basically unchanged from 95-06 though and if it was in good shape I'd have no issue buying a 95.

If it helps, I had a 2000 KTM 250EXC. To me that bike was a rocket. One wrong move and you'd be in the trees but it sure was fun. I preferred my KDX but that has more to do with my skill level than anything.

Edited by JFortner5
  • Like 1

I honestly only ride 4 strokes in trails. And what you are describing sounds what I ride, the XR200R is a nice bike for tight trails and I love it in the mud plus It only weighs about 220 pounds. When Modded it can be a blast and can climb good size hills. I ride mine and I'm 160 at 5'10" and find it very comfortable and fun. I find keeping up with my friends crf230s not bad at all.

well the thing is, i need a more powerful trail 2t.

Well this changes things a little from your last thread.

I'd look for a clean KDX 200 or 220. They can be had for little money, they are very dependable, and are very torquey especially for a 2t.

Depending on how fast you are I hear the suspension, particularly the front forks aren't up to the task but I'm not fast enough to worry about it lol.

A KDX will be my next bike. I had one about 12 years ago. Wish I still had it. It's like the XR400 of 2 strokes. Not quite XR torque, but has enough of a hit to make it interesting especially in the higher rpm where the XR has already signed off.

Around here a clean example can be had for $1500, some even closer to $1000. The only thing is they quit making them in 2006. They were basically unchanged from 95-06 though and if it was in good shape I'd have no issue buying a 95.

If it helps, I had a 2000 KTM 250EXC. To me that bike was a rocket. One wrong move and you'd be in the trees but it sure was fun. I preferred my KDX but that has more to do with my skill level than anything.

i was thinking of that 250EXC but could i possibly get one for good shape for under $2000??

Also @Jfortner5 I have a few questions. Does a 250 exc. react like a 2 stroke or 4 stroke. And can I push its limits with jumps and all kinds of suspension "tests" on my trails? I really want a 2 stroke that behaves like a racing 2 stroke but has good enough torque for the woods. Plus I really like the excs light! Also is it wide ratio or close ratio gearing. Id kindof like to know stuff like this about the bike but I'm really leaning towards this bike. But id like a good condition one post 2002 possibly for under $2000. Could you possibly find the specs on it like that stuff? Because I can't seem to find stuff out about it. I would like a performance bike idk if the exc is or not because it has a light because I will do maybe 5% night riding. Not even that. I've yet to ride either of my bikes at night except once or twice. But the exc. does seem to be able to get street legalized pretty easily and id like to do that once I get my moto license. But thanks for the help!

I don't know about street legal, but the exc does have a wide ratio trans. you definitely know your riding a 2t. It has enough torque when you're trail riding but really rips if you let it. I heard you can adjust the power valve to change how hard it hits but I never messed with mine. Don't let the light fool you its pretty much a woods race ready bike.

• Like 1

I don't know about street legal, but the exc does have a wide ratio trans. you definitely know your riding a 2t. It has enough torque when you're trail riding but really rips if you let it. I heard you can adjust the power valve to change how hard it hits but I never messed with mine. Don't let the light fool you its pretty much a woods race ready bike.

this sounds like the absolute perfect bike. Mainly woods but good enough to race at my friends tracks! I'll definitely be looking at one of these very soon! Thank you, you've given me lots of help!

No problem man that was a cool bike. I'll try to look up the specs. I want to say it's around 43hp.

At some point KTM changed the way they named their bikes. I know back in the day they had the EXC, MXC, and SX. I believe the EXC is the only one with the light. I don't really know the difference between the other 2. Then they changed to XC, XCW, etc and I don't know what all those mean.

Edited by JFortner5
  • Like 1

No problem man that was a cool bike. I'll try to look up the specs. I want to say it's around 43hp.

At some point KTM changed the way they named their bikes. I know back in the day they had the EXC, MXC, and SX. I believe the EXC is the only one with the light. I don't really know the difference between the other 2. Then they changed to XC, XCW, etc and I don't know what all those mean.

I believe in 06 or 08 the exc maybe changed to the xcw

KTM 300 all the way. Great motors and fun as heck to ride. Slap in a rekluse and it's magic.

did you not read my post or just the title? My budget is $2000 and I really want something post 2002. Plus I don't need a rekluse I can handle the clutch perfectly fine in tight trails.

My advice test ride a 2t before you convince yourself it fits the "on the paper bill". My buddy was riding a KLX 300 and was absolutely convinced a KTM 300 was going to be the ultimate do it all machine from the woods to the track. He purchased a 300 and spent a fair amount of time fighting to keep the power under control. He assumed he would have a KLX powerband and w/ just added power. The last few times we went out he was back on the KLX... I asked where's the KTM and he makes excuses about having a flats etc.

did you not read my post or just the title? My budget is $2000 and I really want something post 2002. Plus I don't need a rekluse I can handle the clutch perfectly fine in tight trails.

You can't buy a KTM 300 for $2000? I see 01's - 04's in that price range all the time. It really is a cool bike. They are light, easy to work on, and for a two stroke the motor really lugs down nice. A natural woods rocket. Sorry I chimed in.

You can't buy a KTM 300 for $2000? I see 01's - 04's in that price range all the time. It really is a cool bike. They are light, easy to work on, and for a two stroke the motor really lugs down nice. A natural woods rocket. Sorry I chimed in.

Easy there are a few for sale under $2000 on Craigslist local to me now.

In my area when you go to a sanctioned hair scramble ( we have many in a 50 mile radius) all you see are KTM's. It's almost weird. Out of 300 or 400 riders I would say better than 90% are on KTM's. We have all major dealers in the area as well. Now on the other hand when I go to motor cross events or watch them on the tube I very rarely see KTM's. It's always yammi, Kawi, and Suzuki. I'm not really sure what makes KTM a good woods bike but they are. Even the 200 is awesome in the woods. Good luck with your search.

Also I can handle bigger bikes since my 230 is 250 lbs!

I ride a 2000 XR250R, fun as hell and fast enough for me, only weights 240 pounds dry.

Edited by Silverado 996

I ride a 2000 XR250R, fun as hell and fast enough for me, only weights 240 pounds dry.

need something lighter preferably

In my area when you go to a sanctioned hair scramble ( we have many in a 50 mile radius) all you see are KTM's. It's almost weird. Out of 300 or 400 riders I would say better than 90% are on KTM's. We have all major dealers in the area as well. Now on the other hand when I go to motor cross events or watch them on the tube I very rarely see KTM's. It's always yammi, Kawi, and Suzuki. I'm not really sure what makes KTM a good woods bike but they are. Even the 200 is awesome in the woods. Good luck with your search.

well i live in kentucky and 95% of people out here are yamaha and honda.

Easy there are a few for sale under $2000 on Craigslist local to me now.

in good shape and in kentucky or near?