Sign in to follow this  

YZ250 subframe year 2000

Just getting started with the dirt bikes and got a used yz 250 year 2000.

The subframe needs replacement because 

1. The weld is broken at the cross bar aluminum near the tank 

2. The nut ( the small tab ) that hold the seat is missing and hence the seat was zip tied.

So i started looking for used sub frame on ebay and most of the results comes with a blue colored sub frame. so i assume its metal and not aluminium. Also they are round bars.

where as what i have in my bike is square aluminium sub frame.

does that mean the sub frame what i have is not from 2000 model ?  if yes then any idea what other years sub frame would fit yr 2000 ?

thanks in advance.

Just getting started with the dirt bikes and got a used yz 250 year 2000.

The subframe needs replacement because

1. The weld is broken at the cross bar aluminum near the tank

2. The nut ( the small tab ) that hold the seat is missing and hence the seat was zip tied.

So i started looking for used sub frame on ebay and most of the results comes with a blue colored sub frame. so i assume its metal and not aluminium. Also they are round bars.

where as what i have in my bike is square aluminium sub frame.

I

does that mean the sub frame what i have is not from 2000 model ? if yes then any idea what other years sub frame would fit yr 2000

thanks in advance.

The 99-00 subframe's are blue painted round tube (and some square) aluminium,and are the same.i believe the 01 subframe is 5mm lower but still fit's the 00.the 02 onwards subframes are square tubed unpainted aluminium.post some pictures of the bike as you may well have a newer scoot than you think. Edited by smez
  • Like 1

Round tube subframes (painted blue) are steel, square tube subframes (painted silver) are aluminum. 1996 through 2001 are basically interchangeable (with minor mods).

2000 & 2001 YZ125 & 250 subframes are aluminum (not sure about 1999), and they are a nice step up from the earlier steel ones.

I am planning to purchase one of these and these are painted blue but seems to a square tube not rounded. do you think are these aluminium ? I will call the seller tomorrow morning and see if can find more information abt it..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/subframe-2000-Yamaha-YZ250-YZ-250-sub-frame-YZ125-00-01-OEM-/261544524997?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce544bcc5&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-YZ250-OEM-Subframe-fits-2000-2001-YZ-250-5HC-21190-00-P0-/221505804107?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3392c6574b&vxp=mtr

yz 125/250 subframes went alu in 99.apparently.

Edited by smez

Yes Balu, those are both aluminum subframes. Good catch. (It looks like I stand corrected on the color. :facepalm:  :blush:   Sorry for the mis-information.)

Yes Balu, those are both aluminum subframes. Good catch. (It looks like I stand corrected on the color. :facepalm:  :blush:   Sorry for the mis-information.)

Apparently the seller is saying it is steel and not aluminum :) and it will fit 1996-2001 yz250 2 strokes

may be he doesn;t know what he is speaking about.

any ways i decided to stay away from that seller and find another affordable aluminium sub frame until then will ride with zip tied seat :(

Are they really that fragile?  Now you've got me worried about my '01.  (It's blue aluminum)  Maybe I should start shopping for one too.

May be not. I don't know the history of the bike I am owning so I wouldn't rule out that previous owner really trashed the heck out of this bike.

Apparently the seller is saying it is steel and not aluminum :) and it will fit 1996-2001 yz250 2 strokes

That's the way most subframes are listed. :naughty:

Hold out for an aluminum unit. Yamaha GYTR used to offer a titanium subframe, but they stopped making it because the aluminum one was just as light & strong.

any ways i decided to stay away from that seller...

Smart move. :thumbsup:

That's the way most subframes are listed. :naughty:

Hold out for an aluminum unit. Yamaha GYTR used to offer a titanium subframe, but they stopped making it because the aluminum one was just as light & strong.

Smart move. :thumbsup:

No, no, no, I have a titanium subframe in the garage and it is unbelievably light. So much lighter than the aluminium one. Just a shame my mate borrowed my bike for a race and dropped it over a table top. It's now a bent memento to all that is trick.

1999 bikes are black air box with steel round section subframe. 2000 and 2001 had the square section aluminium sub frames and white air box . Think they were all blue.

• Like 2

AC Racing makes an aluminum subframe to replace the OEM steel subframe. That might be what you've got. It also looks repairable if you take it to a competent welding shop and have it TIG welded.

• Like 1

No, no, no, I have a titanium subframe in the garage and it is unbelievably light. So much lighter than the aluminium one.

...It's now a bent memento to all that is trick.

Ah yes, true.

What I was trying to say is that the Al subframe was close enough to the expensive Ti piece that the cost differential (bang for the buck) couldn't be justified by Yamaha; to the point that they discontinued the Ti subframe for the YZs.

P.S. It may be worth having your Ti subframe straightened by a competent shop for the Trick factor alone.

Have your mate pay for it. :smirk:

1999 bikes are black air box with steel round section subframe. 2000 and 2001 had the square section aluminium sub frames and white air box . Think they were all blue.

Confirmed.

I finally had time to look through some parts lists and found;

The steel 1998-1999 subframes were p/n 5DH-21190-00-P0. (also fits 1996-1997)

The aluminum 2000-2001 subframes were p/n 5HC-21190-00-P0

I'm pretty sure the "PO" in the part number is a paint code, so it looks they were all painted blue.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/oem.php?partcategory=899598&manufacturer=7&category=5&year=2000&model=28951

• Like 2

AC Racing makes an aluminum subframe to replace the OEM steel subframe. That might be what you've got. It also looks repairable if you take it to a competent welding shop and have it TIG welded.

yes i thought about fixing it by welding. the two pieces that would hold the seat were missing and it has to be fabricated and then welded apart from weld crack in the front portion of the frame. so i guess the cost of fix will be pretty much equal to what i would pay for a used one.

i called up a junk yard here in west coast they have a 2000 model aluminium sub frame that they can ship it for me which would in total cost me $60

• Like 1

Confirmed.

I finally had time to look through some parts lists and found;

The steel 1998-1999 subframes were p/n 5DH-21190-00-P0. (also fits 1996-1997)

The aluminum 2000-2001 subframes were p/n 5HC-21190-00-P0

I'm pretty sure the "PO" in the part number is a paint code, so it looks they were all painted blue.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/oem.php?partcategory=899598&manufacturer=7&category=5&year=2000&model=28951

Thank you. this information really helped me today when called up the junk yard to find the part i need. 

• Like 1

Ah yes, true.

What I was trying to say is that the Al subframe was close enough to the expensive Ti piece that the cost differential (bang for the buck) couldn't be justified by Yamaha; to the point that they discontinued the Ti subframe for the YZs.

P.S. It may be worth having your Ti subframe straightened by a competent shop for the Trick factor alone.

Have your mate pay for it. :smirk:

Having something to continually remind your mate off with how irreplaceable it is , one of a kind etc etc is worth more than any money. The story gets dragged out at least twice a year.:-)

I did try and straighten it but it is quite twisted in a lot of places. They funny thing is another friend looked at my bike with bent subframe and creased silencer, he then said" I reckon if you undo the bolts the mudguard will pop back straight". Like saving the mudguard was my biggest concern :-).

Having something to continually remind your mate off with how irreplaceable it is , one of a kind etc etc is worth more than any money. The story gets dragged out at least twice a year.:-)

I did try and straighten it but it is quite twisted in a lot of places. They funny thing is another friend looked at my bike with bent subframe and creased silencer, he then said" I reckon if you undo the bolts the mudguard will pop back straight". Like saving the mudguard was my biggest concern :-).

:lol::worthy: :worthy: :thumbsup:  :cheers: