Sign in to follow this  

1988 kdx 200 rear sag.... 100mm?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406704332.729382.jpg

Ok guys so I've just finished building my 88 airhead kdx but have no idea what the rear shock sag should be. My modern bikes are always set to 100mm race sag and 30mm static. Is is the same with this old girl?!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406704332.729382.jpg

Ok guys so I've just finished building my 88 airhead kdx but have no idea what the rear shock sag should be. My modern bikes are always set to 100mm race sag and 30mm static. Is is the same with this old girl?!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406704332.729382.jpg

looks like a good one ! how do you like the trials tire on it ? too much traction ? just right ? 

nice bike, looks clean 

Race sag isn't an exact number so to speak. Some will riders will like a little less and some a little more. 100mm is a good starting. Read up on how sag affects the rear, compare it to what your bike is doing that you don't like, and make 1mm changes until it works for you. For example, my '90 calls for 100mm yet I run 103mm. It's just what works for me.

BTW, super sweet looking air head you have there! :thumbsup:

Ahh thanks for that guys. Spent a lot of time and money restoring it. Now frightening to use it lol.

My 2014 Ktm race bike has 100mm of sag just like any other bike I've had, but reason I'm confused is Jeff fredette on kdxrider says...

Use the stock shock valving. The settings that work best are ½ inch unladen (the bikes weight only) sag for most riders and no sag for riders over 200 pounds. Compression damping setting s were best at 3 clicks out on fast whooped out courses and 12 on slow riding over rocks. Run rebound adjuster at 2.5 turns out. Have the shock oil changed frequently (every 100 miles) to prevent shock shaft wear.