Sign in to follow this  

NEED SOME HELP!

Starting at the beginning.....

XR4, 440 kit, stage 3 cam, BSR42 (jetting sorted) FMF pipe, standard headers ground, E-start conversion. This is an Australian XR4, the stator has three outputs, it runs both A/C & D/C voltage from the factory, one output is A/C to the headlight & tail light, the second goes to a rec/reg for D/C for the rest of the road going gear, the third to the ignition.

Now for my problem...

CDI units that work... XR4 CDI runs great! Power is awesome but no E-start due to the higher crank/fire RPM, TRX CDI starts on the E-start but no power due to a miss match with the stator/pulse generator causing retarded timing, XR250 CDI revs higher than the TRX unit but I'm guessing will have the same problem as the TRX unit (have not fitted it yet so I can't be certain, but it does work on my TRX)

The Question is... Do you lose any power in the form of timing retardation by using the XR650 CDI?? I have ordered a Procom XR650 CDI unit that should arrive late next week & I have the biggest ride in NSW OZ on that weekend & I want to be sure that this will work. I will be testing the XR250 CDI on the weekend to see how it goes but I have my doubts.

So can anyone who actually uses an XR650 CDI on their E-start XR4 give me A thumbs up or down please. I think I have figured out how to wire in two CDI's but I'd rather just have it right.

What about modding the stator mounting bolt holes to allow a small amount of timing adjustment. That or talk to some of the aftermarket stator makers to see if theirs allow any play in timing adjustment.

I had thought about that but there's not much room for error with stator mods like that. If all else fails I was going to try one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/231284055304

I will try emailing Procom & see what they have to say, I'm just worried I'll find out a hotted up xr650 CDI is really just a standard XR4 part, I've seen things like that before,

Ok, the procom XR650 CDI arrived, it works perfectly although slightly less snappy off the bottom compared to a standard XR4 CDI so what I have found is: A TRX CDI will only work correctly with a COMPLETE TRX wiring harness, stator, regulator. An XR250 CDI will ONLY work at all with a complete TRX wiring but does give it a bit more poke, If you use an XR4 wiring harness, stator, rectifier and or reg/rec, you MUST use an XR650 CDI.

Hope this helps anyone doing the E-start conversion.