Sign in to follow this  

MAINTENANCE : air filter & chain degrease/lube : how often?

Hello gents

I realize that if I've only been on the road (I've a dual sport street legal KTM 500 EXC) I don't need to change air filter or degrease & lube the chain.

I'm wondering about after doing a desert ride.

I did an hour yesterday at the desert.

I checked the filter while washing the bike. It was still 90% in the original oil color.

I.e: I could tell the oil coating hadn't depleted much.

So I skipped a filter change.

So how often do you gents change the air filter & degrease/lube your chains?

I'm not lazy & have no issue doing the above after every desert ride. But maybe it's overkill?

I service my filter when it looks like this. Don't try this with no-toil.

022_zpsc0dbc3fe.jpg

I clean and lube my chains after every ride in the bush, I also check the filter but normally clean the filter every 10-15ish hours of riding or when it looks like it needs it. I change oil every 5-8 hours or after 2 rides in the bush. I check spokes every 2 rides and adjust as needed. I set the air screw every ride depending on temp and conditions. Bike gets washed after every ride as well and inspected closely....

• Like 2

air filter...when it starts to look dirty. on some of our rides, though, it goes from freshly oiled/completely clean to completely caked in one ride. so i end up cleaning and reoiling it after a single ride. often, though, it takes several rides for it to start getting noticeably dirty. it is definitely better to clean and re-oil it too often rather than not often enough.

sealed chain maintenance is highly debatable and a nearly religious topic for some people. personally, i never degrease it or put actual chain lube on it. i wash it with water along with the rest of the bike, then take the bike for a ride to dry the chain and everything else out. then i hose the chain down with WD-40 to displace any remaining water, then wipe off the excess WD-40, and that's it. (some people will tell you your chain will be ruined after a week doing this. my chains hold up well, though.)

• Like 2

I just recently switched to using WD40 on my chain too. Seems like it is not nearly as messy as the old Maxima clear chain lube I was using and the chain washes up and looks like brand new after a ride with WD40 on it. So far, I like it.

To the OP, I wash & re-oil my air filter after every ride. On the chain, I wash & lube it after every bike washing, and then lube it again just before a ride. But, I ride in a lot of mud & sand. I also replaced my top end recently and if I can make the current top end last a little longer by keeping my filters changed, I'll do it.

what do you use to clean and take grease/oil off

I find dish soap and warm-hot water works well.  The PJ1 air filter cleaner works real well too, use that to spot-treat any bad spots after a dunk through the soapy-water bucket. 

IMG_20130310_181149-L.jpg

Chain I'll scrub clean if I do other big maintenance (swing arm bearings, or motor rebuilds, etc).  So a few times a year.

DSC06062-L.jpg

• Like 3

For my on road bike I think probably every ~ 500 miles I clean the chain and then use Maxima Chain Wax. It will be much dirtier than you think, when you start scrubbing on it.

I used to have a little box type of chain cleaner/brush scrubber made by Moose..dang sure wish they still made that tool. Now I use the bottom of a gallon jug cut out, then put some kerosene in it and scrub with a nylon brush while on the bike (no master link).

For my recent air cleaner work I used kerosene, then wrung dry then used a big wad of paper towel to get as dry as I could then re oiled; I guess kero. is not the best to use and I should have used soap/water after to get the kero. out..? I have a spare so will keep an eye that it does not break down the element.

The air filter was also much dirtier than a visual would lead me to believe.

Couple of questions; 1) why CamP said dont try this with no-toil? I think that is on my brand...finger screw anyway.

2) Snow Mule, do you put the chain back on with the same side out? Or worry about that?

Couple of questions; 1) why CamP said dont try this with no-toil?

he might just be anti-NoToil. some people are.

works great for me, though.

if you are using No Toil, forget the kero...or any such solvents. that's the big benefit of no-toil...no need for solvents. Oxyclean works great to clean No Toil oiled filters (its essentially the same stuff their proprietary cleaner is but cheaper). so does dawn dish soap like snow mule said (just dawn right off the bat, no kero or anything like that first).

• Like 2

what do you use to clean and take grease/oil off

10 minute soak in diesel , followed by 2 or 3 soapy water baths in a white bucket. A white bucket is important so that you can see when the filter stops releasing silt.

Air dry filter overnight, then use Belray or Maxima liquid filter oil. No matter how dirty the filter gets, it will never pass dirt with those oils.

I went and looked at the new/spare filter that came with my bike and it is a twin air, but the one that is on it is a different style with a finer element over a more open one. The twin air looks the same both in/out.

I seen the other day some no-toil pre oiled filters that fit my model for $10; sounds like a reasonable price to me.

For cleaning, try a little bit of diesel fuel in a small container. The diesel breaks down the filter oil very quickly and easily. Just hold the filter under the surface of the diesel and wring it, then release it, several times. After that, wash in plain water with Dawn dish soap. Rinse with clean water. Then, if you live in the south and your A/C unit runs 24/7 like mine does, I set the filter on the outdoor A/C unit with a small stone to keep it from blowing away and it is dry in 10-15 minutes. 

I have been eyeing the pre-filters.. I am going to buy some & try them out to see how well they will work at keeping my main filter clean for a little longer. If I could stretch cleaning my main filter to every other ride, that would cut my filter cleaning regime in half! That's what I'm talking about!

Here's a link to one style: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1429/42422/PC-Racing-Filter-Skins

I'm going to try these and see how they work.

a buddy of mine put a filter skin on his aprilia supermoto. the bike would barely run. wouldn't idle...would stall. would bog hard when he opened the throttle.

started checking the usual obvious things. tank has gas. petcock is on.

"how's your air filter?"

"just cleaned it today."

"i put one of those filter skins on to try it out. you don't think that could be the problem do you?"

"i doubt it."

"guess we need to check for spark."

eventually, after everything else checked out, he decided to pull the filter skin. viola! bike worked again.

put the skin back on...bike no workey. take skin back off...bike workey.

apparently, they restrict air flow.

i don't think having that much impact is typical with filters skins (or they would be out of business), but it's something to watch out for.

Hello gents

I realize that if I've only been on the road (I've a dual sport street legal KTM 500 EXC) I don't need to change air filter or degrease & lube the chain.

I'm wondering about after doing a desert ride.

I did an hour yesterday at the desert.

I checked the filter while washing the bike. It was still 90% in the original oil color.

I.e: I could tell the oil coating hadn't depleted much.

So I skipped a filter change.

So how often do you gents change the air filter & degrease/lube your chains?

I'm not lazy & have no issue doing the above after every desert ride. But maybe it's overkill?

Just a thought after a good ride I checked filter it was clean but.

Around the sealing edges where you put the filter on had high grass I was riding through all around it the grease I put stopped it but who wants to kill a 9000 dollar bike over 20 minutes you should have as many clean extra filters as you can hanging up.

By the way how is the power on that ktm 500 I'm thinking of getting one.

Just a thought after a good ride I checked filter it was clean but.

Around the sealing edges where you put the filter on had high grass I was riding through all around it the grease I put stopped it but who wants to kill a 9000 dollar bike over 20 minutes you should have as many clean extra filters as you can hanging up.

By the way how is the power on that ktm 500 I'm thinking of getting one.

Thoroughly agree with you.

I'm planning on keeping 3 on hand + 1 on bike.

Where do I store the 3?

In zip loc baggies to keep dust out & the oil moist.

Right?

Thoroughly agree with you.

I'm planning on keeping 3 on hand + 1 on bike.

Where do I store the 3?

In zip loc baggies to keep dust out & the oil moist.

Right?

yes it's so much easier that way I hate cleaning them so there cheap enough to buy.

Oil them up put them in a zip lock hang them up in the garage all exes oil will drain to the bottom of the bag to.

How do you like the 500 and how is the power.

I have 13 rmz 450,14 yz450f.

I forgot to respond to your question about the 500.

It's divine.

Too.Much.Power.

Sorry I can't say more because I haven't used anything similar enough as a basis for comparison.

I can say one thing about KTMs though.

They feel like quality.especially when compared to Suzuki, Honda & Kawasaki.

Sorta like comparing a Porsche to a Corvette.

The fine finishing.

• Like 1

a buddy of mine put a filter skin on his aprilia supermoto. the bike would barely run. wouldn't idle...would stall. would bog hard when he opened the throttle.

started checking the usual obvious things. tank has gas. petcock is on.

"how's your air filter?"

"just cleaned it today."

"i put one of those filter skins on to try it out. you don't think that could be the problem do you?"

"i doubt it."

"guess we need to check for spark."

eventually, after everything else checked out, he decided to pull the filter skin. viola! bike worked again.

put the skin back on...bike no workey. take skin back off...bike workey.

apparently, they restrict air flow.

i don't think having that much impact is typical with filters skins (or they would be out of business), but it's something to watch out for.

I found the same. Very restrictive. Another reason I don't use them any more is they let very fine dust through. The filter will look clean but will have fine dust in it which shows up when washing it.