Sign in to follow this  

Hard to cold start 2014

So I have 15 hours on the new steed and she is still very hard to start like 12 kicks when cold. Even though the ambient temp is 90°. I pull out the starting lever always when motor is cool. Seems like it starts but just dies instead of running. Any tips or tricks to help it fire quicker? Once hot seems to start fine 1-2 kicks.

You might try turning the idle up a little bit, the other thing that really seems to help is kicking from TDC.

I was fighting mine in cold weather (like 0 or below), a black ops coil cured that.  Now it starts in 3-4 kicks even when it's below 0.

• Like 1

Mine does the same thing. What coupler do you have in? I've got the lean plug in and I figured that was probably why it was hard to start.

Wyorever I have the stock coupler in. It fires but just never gets the motor up to speed. I am going to mess with the idle a bit and see what helps.

Yep thats what mine does, it'll fire, just doesn't stay running.

I bumped up my idle a bit at first as it seemed like the bike would stall really easy.

Edited by Wyorever

There is an unannounced recall on the electrical system for the 2013 and 2014 RMZ450's. If you find a decent dealer who is up on this stuff, they will order you a new upgraded ECM. It definitely helps.

There is an unannounced recall on the electrical system for the 2013 and 2014 RMZ450's. If you find a decent dealer who is up on this stuff, they will order you a new upgraded ECM. It definitely helps.

Anyone got a link for this?

Anyone got a link for this?

The link is a responsible local dealer who is on the ball. If your Suzuki dealer is too overworked and too busy (which most are) to stay on top of all of the bulletins simply whine and cry until they call Suzuki. Then they will send the part. It's an unannounced recall.

My friend bought one of Malcolm Stewart's outdoor RMZ450's. Yes, Malcolm's RMZ. He was going to be on Suzuki this summer too. Not relevant that it was Malcoms bike but just a neat tidbit. My friend was the first to have it done. I also got the part from the dealer where I bought the bike.

It reminds me of Glock. Got the first Gen4 G17. No recall of course, but as soon as I called Glock and complained about the stove piping and partial ejections they sent me the unannounced recall replacement spring. Something like that on this.

Sometimes my RMZ would make me so mad when it wouldn't start...ARRRRGGGG! Go to your dealer. Get the part. You won't regret

BTW - One of the main upgrade claims to 2015 is much improved starting.

Edited by bnyfe
  • Like 1

The link is a responsible local dealer who is on the ball. If your Suzuki dealer is too overworked and too busy (which most are) to stay on top of all of the bulletins simply whine and cry until they call Suzuki. Then they will send the part. It's an unannounced recall.

My friend bought one of Malcolm Stewart's outdoor RMZ450's. Yes, Malcolm's RMZ. He was going to be on Suzuki this summer too. Not relevant that it was Malcoms bike but just a neat tidbit. My friend was the first to have it done. I also got the part from the dealer where I bought the bike.

It reminds me of Glock. Got the first Gen4 G17. No recall of course, but as soon as I called Glock and complained about the stove piping and partial ejections they sent me the unannounced recall replacement spring. Something like that on this.

Sometimes my RMZ would make me so mad when it wouldn't start...ARRRRGGGG! Go to your dealer. Get the part. You won't regret

BTW - One of the main upgrade claims to 2015 is much improved starting.

I will be calling them tomorrow, after I go riding of course. I was hoping for a link or something because I wasn't very impressed with them when I bought the bike in the first place. I never got the sales man name that I bough the bike from and he never shook my hand. He didn't even seem excited to be selling us two bike both paid for in cash. He didn't seem to know much about bikes, but hopefully the service department knows their stuff better than he did.

• Like 1

Wyorever let me know what they say and I will call my dealer as well.

Did you have any luck? I ran out of time Friday, worked Sat and Sun. Tried to get ahold of them this morning and they're closed till Tues.

Did you have any luck? I ran out of time Friday, worked Sat and Sun. Tried to get ahold of them this morning and they're closed till Tues.

I just got off the phone with him and he looked through the service bulletins and updates and said it did show an update for the 2013 but not the 2014. He said bring it over and he would try starting it and the call the Suzuki rep. And see what he says.

I can't get over there for a couple days so try yours tomorrow and let me know what they say too.

• Like 1

I just got off the phone with him and he looked through the service bulletins and updates and said it did show an update for the 2013 but not the 2014. He said bring it over and he would try starting it and the call the Suzuki rep. And see what he says.

I can't get over there for a couple days so try yours tomorrow and let me know what they say too.

my apologies...the 14 may already have the update.

There might not be anything wrong with your bike. It's new, and what I've noticed is new bikes can be pretty hard to start since everything is tight and not worn in.

Always kick it from TDC, and turn your idle up a ways. Once it's started, you can always turn it down.

My guess is your bike will slowly become easier to start after it's been ridden hard for a few more hours.

There might not be anything wrong with your bike. It's new, and what I've noticed is new bikes can be pretty hard to start since everything is tight and not worn in.

Always kick it from TDC, and turn your idle up a ways. Once it's started, you can always turn it down.

My guess is your bike will slowly become easier to start after it's been ridden hard for a few more hours.

I ride my bike pretty dang hard, it's nowhere near new. It's a fuel injected four stroke, there's no reason it shouldn't start at least second kick.

• Like 1

I ride my bike pretty dang hard, it's nowhere near new. It's a fuel injected four stroke, there's no reason it shouldn't start at least second kick.

Oh, well then there's no reason it shouldn't. What coupler do you have in?

Oh, well then there's no reason it shouldn't. What coupler do you have in?

Scroll up a few posts....

Mine does the same thing. What coupler do you have in? I've got the lean plug in and I figured that was probably why it was hard to start.

Oh, sorry.

Does it sputter or not do much when you kick it?

It fires, but only turns a couple times and then dies. Yes, I've bumped the idle up.

I went out and tried to start mine and counted kicks. 20 kicks and still didn't fire. Stock coupler. 15 hrs run time.