Sign in to follow this  

Tips for tall riders

Try rolling your bars forward a little from stock I found this helped on a CRF450x with the stock Tag T2 Bars with the bar mounts in the forward position!

Edited by Nusk450x

I like having my fastway pegs in the low position, RC high bars, and my clamps in forward position. Also don't forget to set up the suspension to your weight and riding ability.

• Like 1

I like having my fastway pegs in the low position, RC high bars, and my clamps in forward position. Also don't forget to set up the suspension to your weight and riding ability.

ah yes sprung for your weight is a must! Also I'm only 6" so rolling my bars forward was all I needed to get comfy!

I'm 6'5", 210lbs. I like how you can shim the pegs to help you naturally pinch the bike with your knees.

• Like 1

That's great advice. I've got my bars foward. I don't have fast always . Does setting up sag help does it?

yes setting your sag correctly helps. Having your suspension balanced (front - rear) always makes getting a comfortable riding position easier and also makes riding a lot more pleasant! Google race tech spring calculator to help you with that! You can get bar risers or high bend bars lowered pegs etc. many parts to accommodate taller riders! Edited by Nusk450x

6'4" here. springs for you weight shock and forks. Bars (avoid 'tall' bars, they won't do anything for you if they put your bars into your pelvis). Bar risers put the bars in your pelvis. Dirt bikes aren't designed with lanky people in mind. Good luck.

• Like 1

Just remember that being a Taller rider your Body Language is more exaggerated  . So ALOT of what you find online as far as Ideal may not work so well with you IMO .
  My  setup is :

6'4" 190lbs without gear

2012 RMZ450 

Tall seat 

CR high bend handlebar  with 1" bar risers

my sag is 4 1/8 inches -4 5/16's depending on terrain

Edited by xxcody2gunsxx
  • Like 1

Just remember that being a Taller rider your Body Language is more exaggerated . So ALOT of what you find online as far as Ideal may not work so well with you IMO .

My setup is :

6'4" 190lbs without gear

2012 RMZ450

Tall seat

RC high bend handlebar with 1" bar risers

my sag is 4 1/8 inches -4 5/16's depending on terrain

ThAts really apprettiaed I'm going to get hi bend bars. In New Zealand would I be able to get a tall seat?

ThAts really apprettiaed I'm going to get hi bend bars. In New Zealand would I be able to get a tall seat?

Try EBay! Otherwise your local bike dealer should be able to help you out.
  • Like 1

I suggest trying some bars out first before spending a bunch of money on stuff that doesn't help. Go to the dealer and see what feels best, everyone is different so what I like the next guy won't and what someone else likes, I may not like.

I am 6'4 as well and I am running the Yz bend Twinwalls (which are low, flat, and wide). I was running Windham bends before but I actually like the YZ bend better. They are most comfortable for me. I am also running a stock seat and peg height but I don't sit much at all either.

As DieTrying said... you wanna keep the bars away from you pelvis. The closer the bars get to your pelvis the more it restricts your movement and keeps you from getting forward on the bike. 

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 2

I suggest trying some bars out first before spending a bunch of money on stuff that doesn't help. Go to the dealer and see what feels best, everyone is different so what I like the next guy won't and what someone else likes, I may not like.

I am 6'4 as well and I am running the Yz bend Twinwalls (which are low, flat, and wide). I was running Windham bends before but I actually like the YZ bend better. They are most comfortable for me. I am also running a stock seat and peg height but I don't sit much at all either.

As DieTrying said... you wanna keep the bars away from you pelvis. The closer the bars get to your pelvis the more it restricts your movement and keeps you from getting forward on the bike. 

Those are fairly low for a rider your height. Do you run them neutral or rolled forward? 

I'm 6'2" and used to run really high bars on bar risers and roll them forward. I've ditched the risers and run a moderately high but not super high bar, in nuetral (in line with forks) and am actually happier. Corners much better. 

Those are fairly low for a rider your height. Do you run them neutral or rolled forward? 

I'm 6'2" and used to run really high bars on bar risers and roll them forward. I've ditched the risers and run a moderately high but not super high bar, in nuetral (in line with forks) and am actually happier. Corners much better. 

I run them in a neutral position. No risers, no anything. I used to run higher bars as well but I noticed that the lower I went, the easier the bike became to lay into corners and the slower the arm pump set in. I ride over the front pretty heavily most of the time and I know that my bar choice is not exactly typical, but it is just what works for me. It is pretty uncomfortable when sitting because the cockpit seems so cramped but when I am standing and in the attack position the bars just feel right! So I chose by what I need to feel the best where it will benefit me most.

Edited by BDubb106

It's hard in newzealand as no one has stock so you order it and you own it a. It's lame. But I'm keen to get hi bend bars. Cheers for all replays it's very helpfull

I'm 6'5 280. I just added bar risers so I'm not so hunched over the top. I got the 30mm ones. Haven't rode with them yet. I'll report back when I do.

It's hard in newzealand as no one has stock so you order it and you own it a. It's lame. But I'm keen to get hi bend bars. Cheers for all replays it's very helpfull

I'm also in New Zealand, I'm 6ft 2 and I find renthal Carmichael hi bend to be really comfortable on my KX-F. What part of nz are you in? Most of the dealers in my area have a reasonable selection of bars in the shop, but depending on your region it may be different.

I'm in palmy north aye. Im stoked to here that. It's awkward being taller aye. The bike feels like its real low.