Sign in to follow this  

Advice for a rookie.

Hey all, new here and to dirt bikes and looking for some advice/feedback.  My wife has released me to purchase a bike and with all the research I am a bit overwhelmed.  I thought it would be an easy choice but the more I look the crazier it makes me.  I went to look at a new '13 Kx250 for $5200 and thought it was nice.  I also have a Husqvrna dealer that has '14 TC250R for $4900 and Txc250r for $5200.  They listed these as the last Italian/BMW made Husqvarnas, if that means anything.  They also have FC250s.  Another dealer has some KTM Sx250s.  The 2 and 4 stroke has me confused also.   Anyway I was wondering which would be a good choice.  Needing to buy from a dealer for financing availability so private party used is not an option at this point.

Will be riding local OHV parks, trails and some track.  My backround is DH mountain biking and never have ridden a dirt bike.

Thanks!

A 2 stroke 250 is a lot of bike, especially if you've never ridden before.

If you're mostly riding woods, I'd look into a woods bike more than a mx bike. They will have wider gearing for trails and usually be a little more docile.

I'm not very well versed in all of the new models, especially the euro bikes but maybe something like a wr250f or a crf250x would fit the bill. They are both based on motocross bikes but come with a little different suspension, gearing, lights, and are better suited for trails. They both can be ridden on the track and can do pretty good.

• Like 2

Well the deal with 2 strokes are they have more top end (higher revs) power and 4 strokes have more power at lower revs so say for trails it would be better to ride a 4 stroke in my opinion but the two strokes are good for the track but go through pistons like nothing on trails or logging roads ect... But the best thing is to try the two out and see what u like soo good luck:)

2 strokes don't just go through pistons like crazy, but it is true they do quicker than a 4 stroke. But replacing a piston and rings is much easier and cheaper than the same job on a 4 stroke.

When a 2 stroke blows up you can be running again for a few hundred, when it happens on a 4 stroke it can be in the thousands.

• Like 1

My friends are telling me to get a mx 250 and the Husky dealer said to go with the trail TXC250 for my first bike.  Some other buddies are telling me to get a 450 because I am a bigger rider ( 6' 240lbs).  I guess it is down to which brand and trail or mx.  The '13 Husqvrna txc250 is about $6000 out the door and the tc250 is a bit less.  Is the Husky a good bike or should I be looking at Honda, Kawi and Yamaha more closely?  Honestly I am so confused.....I thought it would be as easy as saying "hey I want that one" lol.  I am trying to keep it around $6k out the door so probably getting a '13 or '14

On the mountain bike I love hitting table tops and getting decent air so I was wondering if a trail bike would limit that once I get the hang of it.  My goal is to get a bike that will hold me over for at least 2-3 years.

Experience screams 250 4stroke, personal stats scream 450 4t. 450 for a beginner is a lot of bike, 250 your gonna be over it in a week. Get the 450 BUT just pace yourself!

Have your ever ridden before? If not get out there with one of your buds that has one and ride it. You should get a feel of riding a bike before committing to purchase.

Edited by Dexter42

I don't know if this is true or not but I bet it's not as easy or cheap to get parts for the Husky as a Japanese bike.

You're a pretty big guy maybe a 2 stroke 250 wouldn't be so bad in a trail version. It only goes as fast as you make it haha.

Edited by JFortner5

Dirt bikes and mountain bikes are apples to oranges. You won't be riding MX so focus on a trail bike. A 250 4 stroke will be fine. I'd go WR or CRF-X. I'd shy away from Husky even though they make good bikes resale isn't great should you decide dirt biking isn't your thing. Why not hop on one of your buddies bikes and get a feel before you commit $$$. I ride DH bikes and dirt bikes are completely different animals.

Edited by keenxxx
  • Like 1

I was gonna say the same thing man buy a $1500 bike to make sure you like riding before you spend $7k. If you buy a $1500 bike and love riding and want to upgrade in a year you'll get most if not all of your money back.

• Like 3

Wow... Where to begin.. Well a 2 stroke has nearly TWICE the power of a 4 stroke of the same engine displacement. A 250 2 stroke has about 50 horsepower opposed to a 250 4 strokes 25-30ish (hence why 125 2 strokes race with 250 4 strokes and 250 2 strokes with 450 4 strokes). If you've never rode bikes before id get a TT-R230. But researching makes it much much worse. Everyone says the bike sucks its slow and is shit for a bike, but that's compared to a racing bike, the 230 is a woods machine and guess what. It has 6 gears sooo.... It tops out at about 65-70ish. It's like a WR250F without a light and a tad slower. Also if you learn on a TT-R230 wet weight is about 250 lbs. so you can handle all other bikes if you learn throttle and clutch control. But trust me i have a YZ250F and a TT-R230 and i much rather choose the 230 for trails because my 250 4 stroke has tons of wheelspin. But for a first get a 230. You'll kill youself on a 250 2 stroke. A 250 4 stroke is about the same as a 125 2 stroke. And they'll scare you to death. So get a 230! it has fine power!

:edit: also the TT-R230 has an extremely low/torquey first gear so as long as youre rolling it won't stall. Plus its great for steep downhills and tight tight corners where you almost don't need the clutch. And once you get good enough, its great for wheelies ;). But it is an extremely lazy bike so you don't need to do too much whereas an mx 2 stroke you'll be worn down in a few hours.

Wow... Where to begin.. Well a 2 stroke has nearly TWICE the power of a 4 stroke of the same engine displacement. A 250 2 stroke has about 50 horsepower opposed to a 250 4 strokes 25-30ish (hence why 125 2 strokes race with 250 4 strokes and 250 2 strokes with 450 4 strokes). If you've never rode bikes before id get a TT-R230. But researching makes it much much worse. Everyone says the bike sucks its slow and is shit for a bike, but that's compared to a racing bike, the 230 is a woods machine and guess what. It has 6 gears sooo.... It tops out at about 65-70ish. It's like a WR250F without a light and a tad slower. Also if you learn on a TT-R230 wet weight is about 250 lbs. so you can handle all other bikes if you learn throttle and clutch control. But trust me i have a YZ250F and a TT-R230 and i much rather choose the 230 for trails because my 250 4 stroke has tons of wheelspin. But for a first get a 230. You'll kill youself on a 250 2 stroke. A 250 4 stroke is about the same as a 125 2 stroke. And they'll scare you to death. So get a 230! it has fine power!

A modern 250 4 stroke is nearly 40hp..

They're about 35-38hp. 125 2 stroke probably low to mid 30's, 250 2 stroke 45ish, 450 4 stroke low 50's.

Edited by JFortner5
  • Like 1

If you're that big, get you an old XR500 or 600.  Gobs of power right now, and a physically larger motorcycle.  The front end is easy to power off the ground to negotiate trail obstacles and the larger motor has more low-end torque, allowing for greater rider error when it comes to gear choice.  I wouldn't get a two-stroke unless you wanted to compete, but the way two strokes hit that power band can put a big grin on your face. 

not what I've heard and that's not right they're close to a 125 2t and those have 30-35

What kind of 250? Yes an XR250 will be in the 20s but a motocross 250f puts out more HP than a 125 generally.. Even a crf250x or wr250 is still low-mid 30s

I am going to a friends house today and try out his '05 CRf250.  I am pretty anxious to get one but trying to pace myself so I make a good decision.  I think I may be leaning toward a 250 just because I don't want to get in to deep but a local shop did have a decent deal on a '14 Kawi kx450.  

I am going to a friends house today and try out his '05 CRf250. I am pretty anxious to get one but trying to pace myself so I make a good decision. I think I may be leaning toward a 250 just because I don't want to get in to deep but a local shop did have a decent deal on a '14 Kawi kx450.

unless you know how to perfectly handle the throttle AND most definitely the clutch on takeoff then look at a 250 4 stroke. If not get a 230 4 stroke. As in a CRF230F(honda) or a TT-R230(yamaha). DO NOT get a 450! If you've never ridden you'd kill yourself on one of those!
  • Like 1