Sign in to follow this  

2013 head on a 2012

I have a brand new 2013 head that I would like to use with a 2012 motor.  Am I correct in assuming I just need to use a 2013 Piston with the head in the 2012 motor.  Also how can I verify that I do in fact have a 2013 head.  

after you read the forum faq what would make you think you cannot use a 13 head on a 12? or that you need a 13 piston?

The 2013 head will work fine with the 2012 piston.The 2012-2013 piston and head are the same. Now see that wasnt too hard to answer was it SUnruh! Edited by Edge316
  • Like 1

When did Yamaha change the size of the carburetor? I'm hazy but it seems like they downsized it one year?

Am I tripping??

As an owner of a 2013 YZ-F, I only know of one difference between the two...that being the white rear fender on the '13.

12 is when the carb was changed to the larger 39mm carb (up from 37). As far as the head, you should be able to change any head from 10-13. I have a 10 with a 2012 GYTR head on it. 

In front of me, my Parts Unlimited catalog has 08-12 as the same part # for a replacement piston (vertex/wiseco etc, it doesn't have 13 or 14 listed). I am pretty sure that is when Yam bumped the compression. Anyways, the 12-13 should be the same part number, as I just did a quick google search and found no changes to the piston between those years. Perhaps someone has some info to prove otherwise, but I think you are good to go.

I thought the new piston came in 2012 and carried into the 2013. 2014 obviously had the different motor...

Through the OEM I think it is, I was just saying that if you go to buy a Vertex or aftermarket, some of them are listed as fitting from 08-12, which I would bet also means 08-13. Unfortunately it doesn't show 13 (or 14) in my catalog, even though it is the most current one that I am aware of.