Sign in to follow this  

Pulled the trigger on the '15 450 SXF!

8,800 OTD. Thought was a pretty good price for the bike being relatively new and here in AZ. I have been drooling over KTM's for the past 3 years!!

I also have a '14 KX 450. I'm really excited to ride both bikes back to back at the track tonight.

I will post pics soon.

Hopefully I made the right choice! Can't wait to press the "magic button" to start my bike :). It will be littered with titanium and aftermarket stuff in no time.

My last bikes were: '13 CRF450, '14 YZ450, '14 KX450, and now the '15 KTM 450 sxf

Edited by motoxjeff

Seems like a great deal at 8,800 OTD. Congrats on your new ride!

Seems like a great deal at 8,800 OTD. Congrats on your new ride!

8,800 OTD. Thought was a pretty good price for the bike being relatively new and here in AZ. I have been drooling over KTM's for the past 3 years!!

I also have a '14 KX 450. I'm really excited to ride both bikes back to back at the track tonight.

I will post pics soon.

Hopefully I made the right choice! Can't wait to press the "magic button" to start my bike :). It will be littered with titanium and aftermarket stuff in no time.

My last bikes were: '13 CRF450, '14 YZ450, '14 KX450, and now the '15 KTM 450 sxf

Quite a few of us will be interested in your opinion of the bike and how it compares to your previous bikes.  I'm a Honda guy and have been eyeing the 15 450SXF as well, just need to hear more feedback on it.  BTW, I ride a pretty tricked out 09 CRF450.  Tricked out suspension wise.  Best bike I have ever ridden.  Rode the 14 YZ450 and liked the motor better but not the handling and the way the bike felt between my legs.  So write up a good review.  We're waiting.

I just picked one up too and I thought I got a deal at $9200 OTD. I only got 2 hors on it but is super easy to ride.

Ok put 1 hour on the bike (basically stock).  Keep in mind this is compared to my fully set up '14 Kawi 450F (with $4k in aftermarket parts/ suspension on it).

This is a VERY different feel than the Japanese bikes in general.  I wish the KTM's came with rubber mounted bar mounts.

Engine-  The low part of the engine is not as good as the Kawi, but once you get this thing started (mid range and up), its phenomenal and smokes the Kawi.  The thing that is most different is the feel in power.  The Kawi just rips your arm sockets off, were as the KTM just builds power in a linear fashion.

Chasis-  The steel chassis was awesome in the rough stuff and breaking bumps, it really soaked up the hits (even with stock suspension).  I was really impressed with this.  I was over jumping stuff and the stock suspension actually held up good!  The bike jumps awesome.

Overall cornering/ handling-  Once you get used to it, the bike just rails the corners and ruts.  The Kawi you have to steer with the back end of the bike, I feel like with the KTM you have to steer a little more with the front.  The bike also feels lighter in the air than the Kawi.  

-Oh ya….ELECTRIC START, that was worth the $8,800 right there!  lol

I can't wait to get the suspension done, triple clamps, my own bars, oversized pegs, exhaust etc.  I think I can be faster on the KTM.  The bike handles/ corners awesome, and has a monster engine in the mid range and up!

LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT ANYMORE COMPARISONS!  Overall very happy with the bike!  

• Like 3

Ok put 1 hour on the bike (basically stock).  Keep in mind this is compared to my fully set up '14 Kawi 450F (with $4k in aftermarket parts/ suspension on it).

This is a VERY different feel than the Japanese bikes in general.  I wish the KTM's came with rubber mounted bar mounts.

Engine-  The low part of the engine is not as good as the Kawi, but once you get this thing started (mid range and up), its phenomenal and smokes the Kawi.  The thing that is most different is the feel in power.  The Kawi just rips your arm sockets off, were as the KTM just builds power in a linear fashion.

Chasis-  The steel chassis was awesome in the rough stuff and breaking bumps, it really soaked up the hits (even with stock suspension).  I was really impressed with this.  I was over jumping stuff and the stock suspension actually held up good!  The bike jumps awesome.

Overall cornering/ handling-  Once you get used to it, the bike just rails the corners and ruts.  The Kawi you have to steer with the back end of the bike, I feel like with the KTM you have to steer a little more with the front.  The bike also feels lighter in the air than the Kawi.  

-Oh ya….ELECTRIC START, that was worth the $8,800 right there!  lol

I can't wait to get the suspension done, triple clamps, my own bars, oversized pegs, exhaust etc.  I think I can be faster on the KTM.  The bike handles/ corners awesome, and has a monster engine in the mid range and up!

LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT ANYMORE COMPARISONS!  Overall very happy with the bike!  

What are your thoughts on comparison to your CRF450?  And, MXA says add a tooth to the rear sprocket to get it in the power sooner.  Do you think that would help?

What are your thoughts on comparison to your CRF450?  And, MXA says add a tooth to the rear sprocket to get it in the power sooner.  Do you think that would help?

MXA says add a tooth to every stock bike.  I like the bike the way it is.  Its kinda nice to just roll on the power before it builds.  If you want to play with that, its pretty cheap to find out yourself.  Just pick up a sprocket.

Compared to the Honda.  First of all I did not like the '13 Honda (I broke my ankle on that bike).  I felt like the honda was 'twitchy' with the handling, so there is no comparison to this bike.  The KTM tracks very well and is stable.  It absolutely eats braking bumps (in a good way).  The KTM is very predictable, and I was able to rail corners last night.

The engine on ANY Honda is down on HP to just about everyone stock.  The '13 Honda was an absolute DOG.  I put in a Yoshimura stage 2 cam, and had the FMF pipe on it, and it was ALMOST even with a stock Kawi.  The KTM engine would obliterate a Honda.  The nice thing about the KTM engine is that it starts to make power later in the power band and you can rev it to the moon.

The '15 KTM would obliterate any Honda….Get the bike already!

• Like 2

I just came off of a 13 CRF450 and picked up 2015 KTM. First off I'm 54 and really liked the Honda's mellow motor. It had a FC revalve and was of my favorite bikes. After riding the KTM I can see that the CRF air forks would dive when braking or when I would hit a real loamy part of the track and that it was very twitchy. The KTM stays up in the stroke and tracks better and it doesn't want to push in the turns. I am still a novice rider but I feel the KTM corners better. The KTM motor is way more powerful than the Honda all across the board. It makes it easier to ride all around. The bike tracks straight through the whoops and doesn't seem to deflect or do anything funny in the air or landing. I've got less than two hours on the bike so far but I'm very happy.

Mike

• Like 1

I just came off of a 13 CRF450 and picked up 2015 KTM. First off I'm 54 and really liked the Honda's mellow motor. It had a FC revalve and was of my favorite bikes. After riding the KTM I can see that the CRF air forks would dive when braking or when I would hit a real loamy part of the track and that it was very twitchy. The KTM stays up in the stroke and tracks better and it doesn't want to push in the turns. I am still a novice rider but I feel the KTM corners better. The KTM motor is way more powerful than the Honda all across the board. It makes it easier to ride all around. The bike tracks straight through the whoops and doesn't seem to deflect or do anything funny in the air or landing. I've got less than two hours on the bike so far but I'm very happy.

Mike

Thanks for the review. 

Motoxjeff, ive seen your other bikes n you do a very nice job and i can see your as anal as i am building them lol, great job, and in doing so ,keep us updated with pics as you go along! Thanks bud!

• Like 1

I have also made the switch from the crf450 to a 15 ktm450. My honda was a mildly modded 13. Only thing left was porting. I Realy liked the crf but now that I've switched I can't believe the differance. Even my old crf modded wasn't this beefy in the powerband, and this suspension is great! I'm actually kinda mad about how much I put into that honda and it still wasn't this good. I've raced Hondas for twenty years, but unless they change I'm staying orange!

• Like 1

Motoxjeff, ive seen your other bikes n you do a very nice job and i can see your as anal as i am building them lol, great job, and in doing so ,keep us updated with pics as you go along! Thanks bud!

You should see the parts I've got coming... I've got the SFS dungey clamps on order, full Ti FMF system, raptor titanium pegs, full graphics kit.... I'll post pics soon. I'm going all out on this bike. Lol

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407294280.350377.jpg

Some of my goodies came in today ;)

• Like 1

Nice! Not sold on the neken clamps. But give a review. Wp stuff can play with your mind.i dont know if the clamps will help that.they r dam sexy though!

Nice! Not sold on the neken clamps. But give a review. Wp stuff can play with your mind.i dont know if the clamps will help that.they r dam sexy though!

mxboy, whats your view on the SXS clamps? I had them mounted on my 2013, but i removed them for the 2014. My feeling was the SXS clamp added more flex which led to more vague turn in feeling and when it comes to plow through loose stuff.

Thinking about mounting them back on the 2014 now after some hours to do a comparisation.

mxboy, whats your view on the SXS clamps? I had them mounted on my 2013, but i removed them for the 2014. My feeling was the SXS clamp added more flex which led to more vague turn in feeling and when it comes to plow through loose stuff.

Thinking about mounting them back on the 2014 now after some hours to do a comparisation.

It should be the opposite, since the SXS clamp has wider/greater contact area against the forks which should lead to less flex in the forks. Also saw some statement from Applied Racing:

http://appliedrace.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=43

Will try and remount them for tomorrow practice.

Wow. You run through some bikes. Maybe its time to upgrade my 06 to a new one. I rode a new Yamaha and a KTM. I wasn't that impressed with the Yamaha, but the KTM had me seriously thinking about one and I didn't want to get back on my old one.

My opionion on the nekken is if u have ridden with the green elastoners on the phds its apsolutly horrible for moto. It gives u a really bad feel of the front end and alotta feed back into the riders arms. Im using the yellow elastoners right now n have just recently purchased ride clamps 20.5 offset n rubber mounted handlebar clamp. I dont think the phds does anything for vibration on a fourstroke, 4strokes dont vibrate to me lol, the nekken are extremly expensive and i think if u where spending that kinda dough i would of got ohlins inserts with huckvalves. Thats a great set up along with a ttx shock. Thats a night n day improvement right there! Sell the wp shock to offset the price . Thank me later

Isn't it designed to do the opposite of that ?