Sign in to follow this  

Spray oil for air filters.

I bought some No Toil oil in a spray can, should I spray a little on the inside of the air filter or just a good coating on the outside? I use a foam air filter and this can be used on both fyi.

X001.jpg

spray it both inside and outside. and then knead it to work it into the filter just like you do with regular, poured filter oil. then squeeze out the excess...again just like with regular, poured filter oil.

Good call, I forgot about kneading it. Thanks.

You do realize that the picture you're showing is for fabric filters not foam. I'm not sure of the diference , but I don't know if I'd trust that on a foam filter. Might want to research.

^this

That is not for foam dirt bike filters

Sorry, just reread your post and product discription. Claims to work on both type of filters. Ride on.

:ride:

Not sure what that spray oil cost, but it seems like it might be less wasteful than the pour on.

I paid $15 for a liter bottle of BelRay...and guess it`s going to be a dirty job either way.

Not sure what that spray oil cost, but it seems like it might be less wasteful than the pour on.

I paid $15 for a liter bottle of BelRay...and guess it`s going to be a dirty job either way.

I't's typically much more expensive for spray cans. They are necessary for fabric filters but for foam, not.

Oil from the bottle isn't wasteful at all. Put your filter in a ziplock bag, pour in oil and knead. Add oil as needed for even distribution. No waste, no mess.

Edited by sandlvr69
  • Like 1

I bought some No Toil oil in a spray can, should I spray a little on the inside of the air filter or just a good coating on the outside? I use a foam air filter and this can be used on both fyi.

X001.jpg

No Toil is a good choice, but once you are done with the spray, just get a bottle.  More bang for the buck.  Shake the can (or bottle when you get it) well and apply a healthy dose inside and out and squeeze out excess as others said.  For clean up you have two choices, either the No Toil cleaner or Oxyclean from Wal Mart.  Choose Oxy Clean from Wal Mart (or wherever) because it is a lot cheaper.  Rim grease?  Well, No Toil makes that, too.  It sucks.  Buy a PC Racing Pro-Seal.  It's like $15.  Clean the rim of your intake so you could eat off it, then stick that Pro-Seal gasket on, and you will have no infiltration at all between the rim and the filter.  

Once you go No Toil you can wash your filter in the kitchen sink or even laundry.  We run three filters at any given time and just rotate them.  They last for a long time.  Enjoy.

No Toil is a good choice, but once you are done with the spray, just get a bottle.  More bang for the buck.  Shake the can (or bottle when you get it) well and apply a healthy dose inside and out and squeeze out excess as others said.  For clean up you have two choices, either the No Toil cleaner or Oxyclean from Wal Mart.  Choose Oxy Clean from Wal Mart (or wherever) because it is a lot cheaper.  Rim grease?  Well, No Toil makes that, too.  It sucks.  Buy a PC Racing Pro-Seal.  It's like $15.  Clean the rim of your intake so you could eat off it, then stick that Pro-Seal gasket on, and you will have no infiltration at all between the rim and the filter.  

Once you go No Toil you can wash your filter in the kitchen sink or even laundry.  We run three filters at any given time and just rotate them.  They last for a long time.  Enjoy.

I figured the spray on would be less messy, but I didn't realize you really had to work it in. I was worried about trying to evenly apply it with the non spray version, that some parts of the filter might get too much concentrated with oil while other parts wouldn't. 

I figured the spray on would be less messy, but I didn't realize you really had to work it in. I was worried about trying to evenly apply it with the non spray version, that some parts of the filter might get too much concentrated with oil while other parts wouldn't. 

You will find it distributes evenly with a little massaging.  You will also find you spend a lot less time cleaning filters and that you have no toxic crap to get rid of.  There is an anti-No Toil crowd.  You may find credibility in what they say.  I didn't.  I suppose if I were running a bike through rivers or heavy rain, I may opt for a petroleum based oil.  That would be the only reason.  Chances of having a constantly clean and well breathing filter with No Toil are high.  When I say it is easy to clean a filter, I mean it is effortless.  You'll see.  Oxylcean is your friend.

You will find it distributes evenly with a little massaging. You will also find you spend a lot less time cleaning filters and that you have no toxic crap to get rid of. There is an anti-No Toil crowd. You may find credibility in what they say. I didn't. I suppose if I were running a bike through rivers or heavy rain, I may opt for a petroleum based oil. That would be the only reason. Chances of having a constantly clean and well breathing filter with No Toil are high. When I say it is easy to clean a filter, I mean it is effortless. You'll see. Oxylcean is your friend.

I actually just bought the 64 oz no toil filter cleaner the blue bottle. Should I return it and get oxyclean? I just bought no toil because it's what I used back in the day, I didn't know the filter oil wasn't petroleum based either. Well the oil worked fine in the past, I only ride track, I get too hurt in the woods.

I have to add that notoil did ruin my uni filter, or was it uni filters are no good? Either way the filter glue just started to melt/come apart. Uni stood by its filter and is sending me a new one, they said they did not reccommned notoil. I haven't heard back from notoil yet. I'll get back on that. Others have posted similar issues.

I had a can of PJ1 once...felt like it took a TON of it to get the same coverage/ depth of as my belray...so not sure how much more that similarly expensive can is going to last if its done thoroughly. Then again, I have seen some people who use spray on who put a pretty ridiculously bad coat....so maybe then it'd last a lot longer. The waste of pour is directly related to the method used. Then again that was as I said PJ1, and I haven't tried the no-toil. I will probably stick with belray out of being the type do "like what i like" and pretty stubborn.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

Looks like that bottle of belray will last a long time judging by how much I used, just seemed like a bunch wrung out after I had it worked in well.

ETA- thanks for the zip-lock bag tip that should help..great tip!

Edited by Nosmoke

I actually just bought the 64 oz no toil filter cleaner the blue bottle. Should I return it and get oxyclean? I just bought no toil because it's what I used back in the day, I didn't know the filter oil wasn't petroleum based either. Well the oil worked fine in the past, I only ride track, I get too hurt in the woods.

The filter cleaner is Oxyclean, and vice-versa, so depending on how much you spent and the value of your time, you may want to return it.  $20 for 7.22 lbs of Oxyclean:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/OxiClean-Versatile-Stain-Remover-7.22-lbs/27437895

• Like 2

I have to add that notoil did ruin my uni filter, or was it uni filters are no good? Either way the filter glue just started to melt/come apart. Uni stood by its filter and is sending me a new one, they said they did not reccommned notoil. I haven't heard back from notoil yet. I'll get back on that. Others have posted similar issues.

it does seem that no-toil and uni filters are not compatible. there are numerous posts on numerous forums about no toil causing the uni filter glue to breakdown. i don't think that means uni filters are no good...just that they aren't compatible with no-toil.

(btw,twin air filters work fine with no-toil.)

it does seem that no-toil and uni filters are not compatible. there are numerous posts on numerous forums about no toil causing the uni filter glue to breakdown. i don't think that means uni filters are no good...just that they aren't compatible with no-toil.(btw,twin air filters work fine with no-toil.)

I agree. I have a twin air in my 450 with no issues yet and am trying the new formula notoil. I just like the way notoil cleans up, and seems to catch the dirt. It would seem that one or both of the companies would warn against use on/with certain products.