Sign in to follow this  

2008-2010 SXF250 reliability?

Not new to 4 strokes as I have had 450s, currently on a 250 2stroke but feel like I would be faster on a 250f in my woods racing (I am aware the sxf isn't the same in the woods as xcf). I am looking at years between 2008-2010, is there any reliability or just general problems with these bikes? Would be my first ktm so just curious! Thanks guys!

No one has any experience with these bikes?!?!? I may be a honda owner but I don't bite! Lol any info appreciated, thanks guys

No one has any experience with these bikes?!?!? I may be a honda owner but I don't bite! Lol any info appreciated, thanks guys

KTMTalk.

I believe 08 - 2010 are the same motor. It wasn't until 2011 they made a few minor changes and went to EFI. KTM used the same design motor until 2013, where they adapted the all-new 350 motor into a 250 design. The current 350/250 motors are absolutely stellar in design and build quality, far superior to everything thats come before. But they are screamers, not really setup for off-road applications. 

The older motor suffers from a few maladies, one of which is the cam timing tensioner. They need to be replaced with a mechanical one immediately after purchase, if not sooner. The non-EFI bikes had some carb issues. I'm not sure if they were generated from Ethanol in the US fuel or what, but its always been an issue on the US 4 strokes pre EFI. Outside of those two, pretty minor issues, the motors are pretty good. They were low-reving, more torque based, so they work great in off-road situations. 

The suspension on the PDS bikes has always been a malady. If your use to Japanese machines with a linked rear-end, you may first wish to test the KTM before making the leap, its a very different beast. Many people like the PDS for off-road due to its longer swing arm travel AND better ground clearance. The XC's from that era, still ran the open cartridge forks, which are very easy to dial-in for off-road purposes, so no worries there. But yea, just be forewarned, if this is going to be your first KTM, its gonna be very different then what your use to. Since then, KTM has gone to a linked design like the Japanese and its allowed people who are familiar with that feel to ride KTM's much quicker and not have to adapt. 

Good luck with your decision. I love my KTM's and personally wouldn't buy anything else, but they are a different type of bike to ride for sure. 

• Like 2

XCs run closed cartridge forks...

They are not a motor know for having torque comparing other motorcycles of those years. Compared to a new KTM they seem like they have a lot of low-end but compared to a YZ250F, it's all top-left...

Edited by Monk

Thanks guys! I am use to the suspension and handling of the ktms in a way as I have drove a lot of my friends bikes and seem to find them okay, nothing that I couldn't get use to. What would you guys recommend for top end life/valve lifefor single track/xc riding? As I said in not new to four strokes, just new to 250s. Figure it will need a lot more preventive maitnence then my old wr 450 lol and monk, I seem to Remember you from the WR forms no? Lol

Thanks guys!

Thanks guys! I am use to the suspension and handling of the ktms in a way as I have drove a lot of my friends bikes and seem to find them okay, nothing that I couldn't get use to. What would you guys recommend for top end life/valve lifefor single track/xc riding? As I said in not new to four strokes, just new to 250s. Figure it will need a lot more preventive maitnence then my old wr 450 lol and monk, I seem to Remember you from the WR forms no? Lol

Thanks guys!

Nope, never owned a WR...

I had a 2009 250sxf and raced mx and offroad in socal. I bought used from an fmx rider who bought it used from an ama sx team. I'm guessing it went from a 40hr bike to a 150 hr bike while i owned it.

I checked the valves relatively often, never needed to adjust, never put topend or crank, never burnt oil, revved the living bajangles out of it and even fed it some dirt by not installing the airfilter incorrectly one time. Never missed a beat. Respect for these engines!  

6-speed is very nice.

Suspension was more than good enough for my 155 lb vet expert frame.

Didn't headshake too bad.

I ride the whole power-spread and never felt like there was too little bottom-end on the sxf. I would buy again if i could find a good one. No doubt or hesitation in my mind.

I've also had 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008 YZ250Fs for mx and offroad.
I raced a 2005 WR250F at a couple of the Australian Four Day Enduros. I raced the 2007 WR250F at the ISDE in Greece.

Edited by Swappa

I should have mentioned that i paid $1,000 to respring, valve, service and replace some internals on the fork and shock with ProValve. I'm not recommending their work ... just recomending that you buy a bike that's already setup for you, or that can be fixed with springs only.

This is my old 250sxf:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/4603307464.html

I didn't keep in touch with the guy that bought it ... i just stumbled across the ad the other day and it's unmistakeably my old bike.

I'll rephrase… the 2008 has open cartridge forks, in 2009 the closed cartridge forks were adopted.

Would you like to try again? Here's a picture of my wife's 08 250xcf...

20140806_145037_zpsomtjctjg.jpg

Here is a picture of her forks...

20140806_145047_zpsrw6yvsn7.jpg

I stand corrected, I just called up my friend with an 08' 250XC-F and asked him why he had open cartridge forks on it and he simply said "I prefer them". So all this time I thought they came with'em because of what he had. Whoops!

Sorry bout that. My bad.

Have an 09 250 sxf far as i know over 200 hr on stock top end a 120 for sure makes a little blue smoke recently otherwise no trouble