Sign in to follow this  

Dual sporting a CR250R?

I want to DS my CR for occasional use....so bare min equipment. I am required by law to have a hi/lo beam, horn and rear brake light.

I need to figure out how to wire it all up, and that is where my problem is. Will the stock electrical system power lights while eng is running? Has anyone else DS'd thier CR and if so can you point me in the right direction...

You'll need a lighting coil - the stock coil won't power a light very well. 

Here is my setup that I can bolt on in a few minutes:

LED headlight and taillight

Small 12v battery like used on emergency lights.

Small solar charger.

You can mount the battery and charger on the headlight so it removes as a unit. Get a couple of connectors so you can plug and unplug quickly. The battery will run the lights all day with the charger or a few hours at night

Edited by pook809

Is a lighting coil the same as a rewound stator?

Do you have a brake light switch set up also?

Edited by MaxxTraxx

What is the year of the bike then we can tell you what your options are for a stator with a lighting coil?

Ricky, it is a 1990 Honda CR250R. It will be very limited road use, like at a DS rally.

Edited by MaxxTraxx

Electricity can come either from a stator or from a battery.  If a battery, it will need to be recharged at home through something like a plug in wall charger or a tiny solar panel.  Many people use batteries from remote controlled cars and the plug in chargers that come with them.

Using all LED lights will greatly reduce the power consumption.

R/C car battery's....what a great idea...

I was thinking about using a kit like this

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1156/-/219887/Tusk-Motorcycle-Enduro-Lighting-Kit?v=5613?ref=gmc&gclid=COyYxY7_8r8CFUVo7AodTDEAbw

And a headlight like this

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1156/-/1022904/Acerbis-DHH-Certified-Headlight-Black?ref=gmc&gclid=CLyJmb7_8r8CFehj7Aod5RIACQ

My biggest issue is powering the lights. I suppose the high capacity R/C car batteries might be good for an hour, but I can always pack more than one...