Sign in to follow this  

Easy weight reduction...

My guess is less than a pound and an exposed rear disk and diminished resale value (if the buyer pays attention to details).

My guess is less than a pound and an exposed rear disk and diminished resale value (if the buyer pays attention to details).

My guess is you guys aren't big on knowing how reducing unsprung weight is a very big deal. Look at all the rear disc guards the experts and pros run... Oh, wait: they don't run them at all. That little bit of weight reduction is a lot more than you think as that area moves far and fast during normal suspension movement. Eliminating that plastic guard, the 2 steel bolts and both of the aluminum bosses is similar in effect to installing a titanium axle. Likely more weight reduction, actually.

As far as retail value goes, I am really not too worried about it. If you really think that flimsy disc guard offers more than simple mud deflection protection you're fooling yourself... You should be running an aluminum "shark fin" if disc protection is a major concern of yours...

Edited by Eddie8v
  • Like 1

If you are a top rider thats very sensitive to weight reduction, then sure. But for a normal weekend warrior or even a few steps above that, the risk of a rock or something damaging the rear rotor would be more valuable to me then several grams. Id say all that probably lost around 100-125 grams if that. As soon as you get some mud on your swingarm, then that goes out the window. 

Id also be willing to bet that the weight savings isn't noticeable. Sure, reducing unsprung weight is important, but something that minor...its not going to be noticeable at all in my opinion.

If you are a top rider thats very sensitive to weight reduction, then sure. But for a normal weekend warrior or even a few steps above that, the risk of a rock or something damaging the rear rotor would be more valuable to me then several grams. Id say all that probably lost around 100-125 grams if that. As soon as you get some mud on your swingarm, then that goes out the window.

Id also be willing to bet that the weight savings isn't noticeable. Sure, reducing unsprung weight is important, but something that minor...its not going to be noticeable at all in my opinion.

It doesn't matter how much mud is added to the swingarm, it will always be lighter back there now. Always.

If you think ANY reduction in unsprung weight is a minor change, well there's no helping you. I have some aluminum wheel tape-on balancing weights if you want me to send you some so you can add some weight to your swingarm. If you held the pieces I eliminated in your hand, I am certain you'd change your mind.

Edited by Eddie8v

Unsprung  weight is the easiest felt.  I still use a rear disk guard as I am often on very rutted tracks and the guard will help save the pads life and even the rotor.  But I do use a slew of titanium hardware and focus on getting them on the unsprung areas first. Ti sprocket hardware, ti, front brake caliper bolts, and fork bolts, and such.   But the largest gain (Less weight) I have recently found was when I switched from the dunlop MX31 to the MX32. The rear 32 was 1 whole pound lighter than the worn out 31 I pulled off. And the front was a half pound lighter. Anytime you lose unsprung weight it good, anytime its spinning unsprung weight thats the very best. As the weight on a wheel is amplified when its spinning.

Edited by UpAllNight

Exactly. I run TCR hubs, the rear is more than 1lb lighter than an OEM hub. Lotsa little things really do make a huge difference you can certainly feel!

Plus it looks cool! :)

It's a pretty rare occasion that someone notices the chop. They notice the front rotor guard mount chop, though...

• Like 1

Trying to explain why weight reduction to people here is like pissing up a rope.

I haven't ran a disk guard for years and have yet to damage anything. Weight reduction is cool too.

I like the idea, Id like to put my bike on a diet.  Tubes also are all over the place with weight. Normal, HD, UHD.  Also, I noticed in one of the pipe comparisons, the single exhaust drops about 5lbs over stock? Aftermarket duals around 2.5lbs.  Then theres that super light seat forget the brand?

Some of those uhd tubes weigh so much it's like adding a second tire. Unreal.

• Like 1

Some of those uhd tubes weigh so much it's like adding a second tire. Unreal.

Ohh yeah!  I just use regular tubes and replace them every so often. Especially since I run around 10 PSI, tube abrasion happens through time.

went around my 08 once to see were the design could be made lighter without sacrificing reliability. It was an eye opener. There are many places were weight can be reduced. . I was concerned mostly with weight up high and on the wheels. Theres a lot that can be done. Hell even the bolts that hold the valve cover on were WAYYYY more than necessary.

Hell, while you're at it, remove that stupid plastic caliper guard, 2 steel bolts, and the mounting tabs.  And the backing plates on the brake pads.  They do nothing.

Then, trim about 1.5" off the front of each chain adjuster bolt.  That is just wasted sitting there inside the swingarm.  Maybe you can even run the chain all the way front and eliminate 2 links and cut the adjuster bolts even shorter?  Might as well drop to 11/44 gearing.  It's the same as 13/52 but think how much lighter the smaller sprockets and shorter chain will be?

Change out that ultra-heavy rim lock for one of the Motion Pro super light ones.

What else?

I am assuming you ride with no shrouds, or numbers plates, right? Gotta cut that weight! You also have a carbon subframe, right? Along with plastic radiators, and full titanium exhaust?

Your goofy ass weight saving is null and void the first rut you rail and you get mud on the bike.

But hey! You can be internet cool with your cut rear rotor guard cut off! Sweeeeet bro!