Sign in to follow this  

Should I trade?

I know this isn't really isn't the right place to post this but I refuse to go to the quad side of TT to ask this.

I currently own a 2003 RM100 and I have the chance to trade it for a 1981 ATC 250R. It's halfway through summer and I wouldn't mind having a three wheeler for the winter.

It's in good shape, all bearings are tight and it just had the motor fully rebuilt. It looks a little rough but with some tlc I think it could be brought back to life.

My bike is in good shape and works great but I've always considered buying a 250r. All of my friends have dirtbikes and we all have a blast on them but I always like to try something different. Also I love having new project and bringing things back to life. Which would also be easy with this trade because I could get $200 cash with it or maybe more.

These models are very rare to find in my area and are very easy to sell. I just don't know if I should take the chance on it. I ride mostly trails and in pits and sometimes track. I do like my bike but in tired of putting money into it.

I'm just wondering what so of you guys would do, or if any of you have had bad experiences with these models?

Thanks

Made a few typos in that post, please ignore.. Anyway, here's some pictures.

My bike:

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406742304.571413.jpg

The ATC:

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406742337.161795.jpg

If I went out to buy an 03 RM100 I can get one for about $1200 to $1500. If I went to buy an ATC250R I can get one for around $1000 to $1200. I honestly like 3 wheeler but find them a little dangerous when trying to ride on the tight trails. if you can try to get $300-$400 and the atc. It honestly depends up to what you would like to drive.

Keep the bike, or sell it and get something else. I'm a 3 wheeler fanatic, at one point I had 7 of them, from a 70 to a 350x, and nearly every model in between. I'll say this, there is a reason they outlawed the production of them. Even for an experienced rider they are twitchy and extremely easy to roll. Nearly every one of my wifes family has drove over their own legs/feet with them, it's almost becoming a Thanksgiving tradition.

If you're not an aggressive rider and want to cruise around they aren't bad, the faster you go , the more danger you are in.

I sold all but 2, a Big Red 200, and a 200m. They are both slow, but as safe as they get. We only use them in the snow to pull kids on sleds.

If you want to move away from bikes then sell yours and shop. A 33 year old air cooled 2 stroke that is hard to find parts for might not be the best trade IMO.

Edited by poldies4
  • Like 1

Agreed with the above. I have had many three-wheelers and I can tell you that when people talk about how great the 250R is, they don't mean the air-cooled ones. Stick with 85 and 86 if you want a nice and somewhat collectible 250R three-wheeler. 81 thru 84 just aren't the same. And get used to crashing. They do it well!

• Like 1

I seen your bike on Kijiji I think in nb, anyways to be Completly honest I think you would really regret buying the 3 wheeler except for the winter time because 3 wheelers are hands down the scariest thing I have ever drivin it is insane how tippy they are unless you have driven one before and like it I would suggest you stay away from it and either buy a quad or another bike cause I thought that it wouldn't be hard to drive but the only time it doesn't flip is in flat gravel anything else is suicide basically and a 250 would be insanely fast, but 3 wheelers are also the Funnest thing I have ever drivin cause they wheelie easily

Forget the 3 wheeler. Like previously mentioned, they crash great! Riding on three wheels is great for little kids on those plastic Big Wheels. I rode 3 wheelers quite a lot growing up....some very spectacular crashes happened with very ordinary riding. But I guess if that's your thing...then do it.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the replies, I've decided to keep it. Not one person said to do the trade and I was feeling iffy about doing it in the first place. Like some of you said if it would have been an 85 or 86 I might have done it but I like my bike too much as of now. Thanks for the help!

• Like 4