Sign in to follow this  

Shopping for tires?

So not to long ago I popped the tube in my front tire. Instead of just replacing the tube I think I just want to get new tires because the tread on my currents tires is practically gone and its pretty obvious that its time.

However, I'm still kinda new to the world of off road riding and I want to ask a question about buying the right tire size.

I have a Honda CRF 230f and the back tire is 100x100x21, and the front is 80x100x21 (this could be wrong, my father told me the numbers and he can be off sometimes) My question is, when shopping, which numbers must be exact to original?

For instance, if I want to buy a back tire thats 90x100x21, would it still fit? Would a 100x90x21 fit? Would a 100x100x18 fit? Or would I have to get 100x100x21 because thats the only size that will fit my rim?

Thanks in advance!

your front wheel will be the 21,your back wheel will not be a 21,it's an 18.You don't have to keep to the exact stock size save for making sure you are getting a 21 for the front and 18 for the rear,the other numbers are tyre width and sidewall height but some manufacturers have different sizing compared to each other even though they will be the same size,michellin for example do this.changing the width and height is ok but there will be handling differences,for example a 120 wide rear tyre will have more straight line traction than a 100 wide tyre but the 100 wide tyre will corner better,if you are new to bikes it's a safe bet to stick to stock sizing untill you are more experienced and can understand how changing tyre profiles will affect handling,messing too much with sizing can have you trying to solve handling issues you are not aware you just created.You should also swap to heavy duty tubes to avoid punctures

for your info the 18 and 21 numbers are the size of your wheel in inches,all fronts are 21" and motocross rears are mostly 19" trail/enduro are mostly 18"

Edited by ozglenn

So not to long ago I popped the tube in my front tire. Instead of just replacing the tube I think I just want to get new tires because the tread on my currents tires is practically gone and its pretty obvious that its time.

However, I'm still kinda new to the world of off road riding and I want to ask a question about buying the right tire size.

I have a Honda CRF 230f and the back tire is 100x100x21, and the front is 80x100x21 (this could be wrong, my father told me the numbers and he can be off sometimes) My question is, when shopping, which numbers must be exact to original?

For instance, if I want to buy a back tire thats 90x100x21, would it still fit? Would a 100x90x21 fit? Would a 100x100x18 fit? Or would I have to get 100x100x21 because thats the only size that will fit my rim?

Thanks in advance!

Talk to ml26

She knows what tires she liked on the crf230 she had.

Or just read her mega thread its in there somewhere.

Oh, in case you are wondering, your bike is in fact, 6.5' long.

• Like 4

You can fit up to a 110 x100 x 18 on the rear of that bike.And if you are looking at Michelins, they are sized differently.  Most places that sell them on line have a size comparison chart.

Edited by Harvo

Talk to ml26

She knows what tires she liked on the crf230 she had.

Or just read her mega thread its in there somewhere.Oh, in case you are wondering, your bike is in fact, 6.5' long.

No, no it isn't.....it's 6'-8-1/2". Why the heck did I go out and buy this thing, just for the sake of measuring it if you guys don't listen???

IMG_0546_zps13f79a82.jpg

OP, it's definitely a 21"front and 18" rear...

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 1

your front wheel will be the 21,your back wheel will not be a 21,it's an 18.You don't have to keep to the exact stock size save for making sure you are getting a 21 for the front and 18 for the rear,the other numbers are tyre width and sidewall height but some manufacturers have different sizing compared to each other even though they will be the same size,michellin for example do this.changing the width and height is ok but there will be handling differences,for example a 120 wide rear tyre will have more straight line traction than a 100 wide tyre but the 100 wide tyre will corner better,if you are new to bikes it's a safe bet to stick to stock sizing untill you are more experienced and can understand how changing tyre profiles will affect handling,messing too much with sizing can have you trying to solve handling issues you are not aware you just created.You should also swap to heavy duty tubes to avoid punctures

for your info the 18 and 21 numbers are the size of your wheel in inches,all fronts are 21" and motocross rears are mostly 19" trail/enduro are mostly 18"

Thank you thank you thank you. This was just the answer I was looking for. And the reason I had my father tell me the numbers instead of just looking on the bike myself is because at the time I was out of state but now that I'm back, it clearly says 18 on the back, not 21.

Edited by zckl

The other thing you'll want to do is be realistic on the terrain you ride and buy the tires best suited for it. Ie don't buy intermediate/harder tires if you ride a lot of sand and visa versa. I just went through what you're going through right now. I'm pretty new too. The front end wash out I was fighting and thought was suspension, turned out was actually the tire I had on the front. I ride a lot of softer stuff and it was a harder terrain tire. Just a thought....

The other thing you'll want to do is be realistic on the terrain you ride and buy the tires best suited for it. Ie don't buy intermediate/harder tires if you ride a lot of sand and visa versa. I just went through what you're going through right now. I'm pretty new too. The front end wash out I was fighting and thought was suspension, turned out was actually the tire I had on the front. I ride a lot of softer stuff and it was a harder terrain tire. Just a thought....

Okay thanks for the heads up. I live out in the desert so its very mixed terrain. I'll be riding in the wash, then get out of there and up a dirt hill and before you know it, you're on %100 rock.