Sign in to follow this  

I'd like to buy and install a tach DR650

I really MISS having a tachometer! I'd prefer an analog tachometer like this one or if someone knows something better than this one from flea bay I'm all ears and rather support the USA and/or this forum if someone here has em. 

If this would work for my 1997 DR650 does anyone have a "how too" or DIY as I'm weak when it comes to figuring out which wires go where. Thanks for any help at all...

here's the link to the tach with specs, etc...  http://www.ebay.com/itm/331261427960?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

lit tach.jpg

Some of the Vapor units include a tach. I think you just hook it up to the coil, but they all come with easy instructions.

But honestly ... the DR650 is the last bike in the world you need a tach on. They don't rev high ... and doing so is counter productive as most good power is smack in low to mid range.

I'd learn to use your "seat of the pants" tach rather than using a "real" one. But up to you. A '97 DR is not worth much so I would not go crazy on stuff that does not add value. It's worth more

as stock as possible (IMO).

That said, lots of guys go with the Vapor (or other similar elec. unit) and are able to lose the stock speedo ...  some remove idiot light pod and top clamp and lose the stock switch.

That's a bit of tricky work but does lose a few lbs.  The Vapor gives you a speedo, tach, trip meters, splits, clock and lots more gadgets you probably don't need.

I'm sure the Vapor and others are ALL made in China, Korea or somewhere outside USA. Just the way it is. :thumbsdn:

Thanks for reply, I don't like the vapor, I like analog instruments, despite not needing a tach, I still want one, especially since I lost my fuel screw and had to replace it (long boy extended from factorypro) I now messed with the idle screw too and need to see a tach to get the idle at a smooth level rpm and prefer to see that than try and hear it.

Like I said I can't wrap my head around not having a tach! I said in other posts its like a juicy filet without a knife, I know you can pick it up like a caveman and eat it, for that matter you don't NEED mirrors on the bike either, nor do you NEED 2 brakes, I can go on and on, I know what you guys are saying, and had I known it would bother me this much after riding 44 years on 17 different bikes from 1974 to 2014 80cc to 1803cc's Every single one with tachs, I would have bought a different bike.

Being a real "visual" guy, If I were to do a digital tach I do like this one but again have no idea how to install one since no real instructions come with it, just pos, negative, high voltage etc....

So again, if anyone has installed a tach (not the LCD vapor that reminds me of the Palm Pilots from the 1990's}, I would be greatly appreciative of pics and a DIY, thanks!!!!

fuel screw.png

Fuel_Screw,Suzuk.jpg

tach.jpg

lit tach.jpg

I can see why you want an analog tach! I have a vapor unit on my cr500 and they suck as far as being able to read them. On hard acceleration you don't know how fast you're going until your speed levels out. I remember when digital speedo's were the hot thing for cars. Didn't last long and now most cars are either back to analog or digital with analog display.

Analog is the only way to go ......... waiting & watching , have you tried it ?     :ride:

Analog is the only way to go ......... waiting & watching , have you tried it ?     :ride:

Not yet, the one I found is not inductive and nobody has replied how to hook one up with pics and a DIY post.

I have a Vapor on my 650 and I would recommend against it.  It has a tach and is both digital and analog. The analog portion has a scale of 0-12,000 RPM, so it spends most of its time below 1/4 scale, not very helpful.

The digital portion is not quite responsive enough to tell anything.  The rest of it, speedo,  trip meters, splits, clock, temperature you don't need and are just a distraction.

I have a Vapor on my 650 and I would recommend against it.  It has a tach and is both digital and analog. The analog portion has a scale of 0-12,000 RPM, so it spends most of its time below 1/4 scale, not very helpful.

The digital portion is not quite responsive enough to tell anything.  The rest of it, speedo,  trip meters, splits, clock, temperature you don't need and are just a distraction.

I know, never even was a consideration, little show and no go. I'm definitely doing analog.

If you want analog, the only one I know of that works with the DRs wasted spark is the Auto Meter Sport-Comp Junior Dragster 6652.

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=2836&sid=15

You just wrap the pickup wire around one of the spark plug leads a few times.

I used to have one, but have since bought a vapor.

http://mica.customer.netspace.net.au/files/tach.jpg

Different strokes I guess. The LAST thing I need on my DR is a tach. why? It's a low to mid type motor and its easy to keep it there. If I had a tach, I would rarely look at it.

But on the other hand ... ALL the other stuff the Vapor has ... I DO NEED.

Speedo? Ever ride on the street? Ever get a $500 speeding ticket? Uh huh. A speedo (one that is Dead Nut accurate) is very handy for avoiding the boys in blue.

Trip Meter? I like TWO trip meters, especially when laying out ride routes or leading a ride. Very handy for working out distances To/From.

Splits I can live without.

Clock? A must. Hard to see my watch when riding. I not only travel on my bike I also commute on it. For someone in the Rat Race ... TIME is a good thing to be aware of.

Temperature? If it's ambient temperature .... then GOOD, I want it. If it's head or exhaust temp ... useless on my bike .... it's a DR650 and never overheats ... even riding all day at 80 mph in

118F heat in Death Valley.

For years I've used $20 bicycle computers for this. They do most all what the Vapor does .. but no tach or temp.