Sign in to follow this  

Buddy doesnt want me to bring my 450. Thoughts?

I have a couple bikes.  yz250 two stroke, kx250f, and a 2012 450f.  I have ridden on a dirt track once in my life.  I normally only ride sand and have been doing that for about a year now.  Im ok at it.

I want to bring my 450 out but my buddy thinks i should stick with the 250 four stroke for awhile first. 

the track is  a fairly open flat longer track.  Any thoughts on this?  Will i really murder myself on my 450 out there?

Go on the yz get your skills in order then once you can keep up with your buddy then move to thre 450 and smoke his ass XD

I have a couple bikes.  yz250 two stroke, kx250f, and a 2012 450f.  I have ridden on a dirt track once in my life.  I normally only ride sand and have been doing that for about a year now.  Im ok at it.

I want to bring my 450 out but my buddy thinks i should stick with the 250 four stroke for awhile first. 

the track is  a fairly open flat longer track.  Any thoughts on this?  Will i really murder myself on my 450 out there?

Yeah definitely ride the 250 two smoker, improves your skills and is a blast to ride.

A 450 has a lot of power as I'm sure you know and that means the bike can get away from you pretty quick on a track, especially if you are inexperienced. I think the 250f or 250 smoker would be the better choice while you're still new to it but as long as you ride within your ability the 450 isn't going to magically kill you either.

• Like 1

Go on the yz get your skills in order then once you can keep up with your buddy then move to thre 450 and smoke his ass XD

Why would the 2 stroke get my skills in order?  That one feels faster then the 450 most of the time. lol

Yeah definitely ride the 250 two smoker, improves your skills and is a blast to ride.

How does the 2 smoker improve my skills over the 250 4 stroke??

If you can confidently handle your bikes in the sand, you can ride the 450 well on the track.  Just be careful, jumps are dangerous.

I can confidently handle them in the sand.  I still fall over but i can do jumps a bit and can ride fairly decent. I dont look to bad on it.

I wanted to ride dirt a bit to work on my jumping.

riding on a track is completely different then riding open riding areas. You will be able to make it around the track just fine, maybe having to roll some of the jumps, but so can anyone. Be prepared to find out how much you have to learn. It's not that you couldn't ride the 450, it's that you will have more fun riding a slower bike fast then a faster bike slow. Bring your 250f. The bike is light with broad enough power it will be easiest for your first time to a track. Whats the name of the track?

• Like 1

Why would the 2 stroke get my skills in order?  That one feels faster then the 450 most of the time. lol

I can confidently handle them in the sand.  I still fall over but i can do jumps a bit and can ride fairly decent. I dont look to bad on it.

I wanted to ride dirt a bit to work on my jumping.

A two stroke takes more skill to ride. When riding a 450f or even a 250f you can lug it around in a higher or lower gear. When riding a two stroke you need to be in the right gear and have perfect shifts, I have never owned a two smoker but have rode a few.

riding on a track is completely different then riding open riding areas. You will be able to make it around the track just fine, maybe having to roll some of the jumps, but so can anyone. Be prepared to find out how much you have to learn. It's not that you couldn't ride the 450, it's that you will have more fun riding a slower bike fast then a faster bike slow. Bring your 250f. The bike is light with broad enough power it will be easiest for your first time to a track. Whats the name of the track?

Riverdale WA

do what this guy does....you'll be fine

that weird falling over part....you can avoid that :D

this is better

Edited by Slackkinhard

The 2 stroke is much more "hands-on" than a modern 450. I actually started riding tracks on my crf450 after having only ridden open desert. Of course I went easy and rolled nearly every jump, but the 450 is much more forgiving (provided you're comfortable on the bike of course). The power is smooth and with all the power available you don't have to really push to clear jumps/power through corners. The 2 stroke on the other hand is much more reliant on throttle response and needs to be really ridden to throw around a track, so I think a 2 stroke will sharpen skill. There is a big difference between 1/4 throttle and WOT on a 2 stroke compared to a 450.

Last month I took my 2 stroke to a track after having ridden my 450 all year and sucked ass because I got used to the ease of the 450.

So in all honesty you could take any of your bikes and will be fine since I'm assuming you're comfortable on all of them and know how they ride/feel.