Sign in to follow this  

Un-Official XR650R/XR650L Parts Interchangeability Thread

Hey all:

After doing a ton of searching, I can't find an official list of parts that swap between the two Honda 650cc dirtbikes....so, here is a valid attempt to make one (there is a similar thread on 4strokes.com and bits elsewhere...I will try to compile all of it onto here.

I own both a 2001 XR-R and a 1998 XR-L as you can see in my garage here on TT.

I bought both bikes a few months ago. What I am doing is buying all new parts (aftermarket) for the XR650R...and swapping the OEM/existing XR-R parts onto my XR650L, improving both bikes with one purchase. I am strategically buying parts for the XR-R...ONLY IF the existing XR-R parts swap over the the XR-L. Hence, if the item is on this list, I KNOW they swap. 

If anyone knows which parts swap from XR650L to XR650R, and it makes even a lick of sense to do so (I'm thinking lighting/electric stuff)...please mention this!

FWIW...let's keep other bikes out of this discussion (like swapping CRF, CR, NX650, XL, other XR)...I know many parts swap from other bikes, but this is only about the 650R and 650L. 

Parts that are 100% compatible between XR-R and XR-L *even if it requires some modification*

• XR650R Carburetor > XR650L: It swaps over. You may need to wiggle it around to fit...but it bolts up. The adapters are the same. The carb will need to be re-jetted most likely. I understand the best jetting to be: 65S slow/pilot and 165 main, HRC needle on 2nd slot from top
  •  
  • XR650R complete front end > XR650L: It swaps over. There are many ways to go about this. Bottom line, you will likely need some bearings, spacers, stem modification, etc to make it work. This means you are unbolting the XR650R whole front end (wheel, hub, axle, forks, triple clamp, steering stem, etc and putting it on the XR650L frame. I'm sure you can make individual XR-R front end parts swap to XR650L...but I am too lazy to do all that research. Someone who has done it, please chime in!
  •  
  • XR650R Front Fender > XR650L: It swaps over. As I recall, involves drilling out the bolt holes a little, and trimming the rear of the fender to clear the 650L frame. Maybe some washers or spacers. Don't remember. Just eyeball it up and rig accordingly.
  •  
  • XR650L Speedometer/Odometer Unit > XR650R: It swaps over. The speedometer cable should hook right into the housing on the XR650R wheel. The only thing you will have to do is make some sort of bracket for the 650L speedometer on the XR650R...there is nowhere to put it in stock form. Easy swap...looks great. Mechanical speedo/odometer on XR650L is a great unit...simple, reliable and best yet...calibrated for the exact same size wheel. 
  •  
  • Drivechains: Both should be 108-112 link 520 O-Ring Chains. Of course they would interchange.
  •  
  • Handlebar Bar Mounts: They swap over. Nothing else to say here. 
  •  
  • Tires: Both bikes use 21" front (I think they are 3.00-21 or 80/100-21) and 18" rear (I think 4.60-18 or 120/100-18)

Parts that MAY be compatible, not 100% sure:

• Wheels?
  • Rear Sprocket: Should be the same minus the bolt holes. Easy fix.
  • Rear Fender?
  • Exhaust Heat Shields

Please chime in with your findings, if you have any to add!!!!

Looks like this is dead, but anyone know about the REAR fender of an XR-R on a XR-L???

The L fender has a couple of extra holes for the monstrous tail light , otherwise they're the same as on the 600R.

Edited by JoeRC51

The XR650R rear is WAY different from either the XR600 or XR650l fenders. The XR600 and XR650l fenders are the same but for the L's tail light mounting holes.