Would an 18" rear be much benefit?

I finally got around to unloading and cleaning my bike after the enduro on Sunday. I know I know....lazy bones. Anyhow, after a nice bath I started going through and inspecting some damage, mainly a twisted pipe(tree) and my rear wheel is roached. Pretty good bend and a few of the spoke holes are wallowed out. Anyhow, I was planning on trying out a set of those Tusk wheel sets come spring, but that's being moved sooner than later haha. I noticed they now come with an 18" wheel option. Trail riding in MN would it really be beneficial in any way?

More flex in the sidewall to conform to the terrain and less chance of pinch flats.

Gotcha. I think for now I'm going to keep 19" just because I'm already getting a new front tire(m203) and the kenda on the back is still good. I'm probably not good enough at this point to really notice/need the difference. Thanks!

I'll call my "boys" at Kenda and have send me a few. ?

Actually a pretty interesting looking tire. Siped knobs eh? Being as their squared off, if you did the same with the front tire would we need kickstands anymore? Haha

From what I've read and heard from MX guys, 19 inch wheels are for better turning on MX tracks.  18 inch wheels also comform around objects better for better grip.  The person to ask is DeviousPete.  He did the mod.  I know his opinion. ?

I cleaned my bike last night.  I figured out was wrong with the shifting and front fender, lots and lots of hard mud.

Edited by toadl

From what I've read and heard from MX guys, 19 inch wheels are for better turning on MX tracks. 18 inch wheels also comform around objects better for better grip. The person to ask is DeviousPete. He did the mod. I know his opinion. ?

I cleaned my bike last night. I figured out was wrong with the shifting and front fender, lots and lots of hard mud.

Hahaha effing mud.... Glad it was something simple! Did your foot pegs have humps of mud on em too? My pipe is so smashed! I knew I clobbered the front end pretty good on a tree but didn't realize the pipe caught any of it haha. It's pushed up pretty good against the frame. Did you end up eating any of those Reese's btw? I think I may pick up an M101 or an S12xc and mount it to my soon to be spare front rim, JUST for that enduro lol.

I recommend the Pipe Dr. in Blaine 612-598-1071.  Cheaper then mailing it if your in the area. But if you didn't noticed it was bent maybe there isn't much performance lose.

I needed a screw driver to get the mud out of the pegs.  I bent one of those too.

Thanks for that info. I've heard them thrown around a bit but never knew where they were or how to contact them. I didn't really notice too much but then again I was a dabbing heap by the time I was done. I'm going to ride next week a bit fresher so I'll know if it's buggered up. I was planning on picking up another pipe this winter during the facelift I was going to do to the bike, especially now breaking stuff lol, I can rotate em out. How bads the peg? Did the mud solidify and form a new one?

The 18"  works better in rocks, mud and the biggest difference I noticed was on flat corners with out berms, and 18" will get much better and more controllable traction, it's maybe not worth swapping out a good 19" for just a trail rider but if you race harescrambles and enduros it's a plus.       

• Like 1

Thanks for the insight. I did a bunch of reading and comparing awhile back between the two sizes. I probably should have just spent the extra $100 on a new tire and tube and gone with an 18"..... Oh well. I wasn't sure if what we have here in MN reap the benefits of more meat of a tire. I figure I'll burn up this Kenda and maybe just order up a new wheel and tire next summer lol. I have to say, bike parts are sooooo much cheaper compared to car stuff! I stepped away from building race cars and whatnot last year and holy crap, you can build the crap out of a bike with what my suspension alone on my rally car costs!

Another thing about the 18 inchers is you can get a bigger variety of tires.  There used to be NO suppliers that made 19 in. trials tires but only recently someone said they now have them.  Next time you like at tires, look at the availability of 18's vs. 19's.  And I know what you mean about bikes vs. race car parts.  I'm glad I don't have to shop for Weber carbs or slicks any more.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that the flurry if trying to get the bike done and ready to ride has passed, I kind of wish I would have just spent the extra hundred bucks and went with an 18" setup. Oh well. It's not like it'll benefit me anyhow at this stage so.... Money saved for suspension work and streamers for my handlebars.

• Like 1