Sign in to follow this  

Gearing 14 300xc-w for supermoto (street)

Hi, all. I am converting a 300xc-w to supermoto/street legal, and know it has 13:50 for off road. The 13 is throwing me because most say 14/45 is the way to go or 14/40. I need to pick the rear sprocket size that comes with sumo wheels and tires. What would be best? Back road blasting, some stop and go occasionally, and occasional highway cruising maybe 75-80. Thanks for any suggestions!

Honestly, if you plan on riding on the road AND track then you'll want to invest in a couple of front sprockets and a few different rears.  Especially if you ride say a real track then try to ride on a kart track.

I would just invest up front and buy a 40 and 45 rear as well as a 14 front.  Try to buy steel to save money as you experiment.

Not to hijack the thread but how are the street manners with the supermoto kit and correct gearing on the KTM 300? Do you fatten up the main jet in the carb for prolonged periods of WOT?

Not to hijack the thread but how are the street manners with the supermoto kit and correct gearing on the KTM 300? Do you fatten up the main jet in the carb for prolonged periods of WOT?

I've yet to pick up bike from dealer as dual sport kit, wheels/tires being installed as we speak. I am also waiting for my lectron carb to be delivered to have installed as well as I have no desire to be changing jets with temp/alt changes. Supposedly, if set up right will not need to be messed with very much, and it's being built bike specific unlike smartcarb that is built as a bolt on for any bike.

To clarify the lectron is intended to bolt on to most bikes just like a smartcarb.  They use the same needle in almost any 2 stroke application which doesn't always work.  Lectron does do machining on their carbs to help make fitment better which I'm not sure if smartcarb does or not.  They've also been around a lot longer so they have have lots of sizes and can produce things like down draft carbs.  Speaking as a lectron carb owner.

Edited by kan3