Sign in to follow this  

Arizona My experience titling a bike in AZ with a bond.

I recently bought a bike with title issues. It's a 2001 TTR90, so didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on it, at least more than what a replacement frame would've cost. Here's my experience getting it titled in AZ.

I had to take the bike down the the local MVD office to get a Level 1 inspection. After dealing with the dumbass with a gun telling me "I don't think we do titles for bikes under 100cc" (all bikes have to be titled as of 2009), the inspector came out, had me take it out of the SUV (nice thing about these bikes, they're small and light) and verified the VIN and engine number, then her little handheld gadget locked up. She then had to do it again with paper and pen. Arizona does not record the engine number ANYWHERE else except this form. And motorcycles are no longer required to have emission testing anywhere in the state. This is as of June of last year (somewhere around there).

I then went inside, got my number and waited. After showing the VIN inspection to the nice lady behind the desk, she had me fill out a form stating how I got the bike. I put that I bought it from a guy on CL with no title. She found a VIN match in California, but it was not on the NCIC (NCIB?, IDK, some four letter acronym) stolen DB. She gave me a form with all the steps needed. I had to write to the CA DMV and get a vehicle transcript which should show the last registered owner's name and address. If I get a result, I had to send a certified letter with the title request, a blank bill of sale and power of attorney form and hope the PO either; ignores the request, no longer lives there, gets a replacement title, signs it over and mails it to me, or signs and notarizes the bill of sale and power of attorney form. At home, I called the DMV and they walked me through filling out form INF70. After filling that out and including a check for $5, it was a waiting game. 2 weeks later I get a letter back from the CA DMV with the name, but no address. This actually turned out to be a good thing. I took all my paperwork back down to the MVD yesterday, explained the situation and the MVD agent went off to check something. The agent next to him got a phone call and asked me what make and model bike I had. I told her, she relayed it on and a couple minutes later the first agent came back with a printout from KBB with the value of the bike. After multiplying it by 1.5, he told me I needed to get a bond for $675.

There are lots of places to get bonds. Your insurance company is one. 3rd party MVD offices are another. Or Google it. Prices vary. It seems most of the 3rd party places start at $100 minimum. One was $160. State Farm won't do them unless it's for you or an immediate family member and start at $100 as well.

When I was at MVD yesterday, I asked the agent if he knew of any cheap places. He said he has seen a lot of bonds from Western Surety and he thinks they had an office in Mesa. After googling it at home, the only Western Surety I could find was in South Dakota. So I googled cheap AZ title bond and got a hit on an ATC forum where a guy had paid $50 for a bond from Frontier Private Process Service in Phoenix. Bingo. Called 'em up (602.258.0022, ask for Jennifer, she doesn't start until 10AM), went down there this mornning and got my bond. And on the bond it said "Western Surety"... from South Dakota. LOL. She made a copy of all the MVD paperwork for my file.

Went bck to MVD today, got my number and ended up waiting almost an hour. I gave the agent my paperwork, she took my $37 ($12 for title and RV tag and $25 for the OHV decal) and gave me the title, RV plate and OHV sticker. Done.

In 3 years, if I still have the bike, I can go back to MVD and get a new title without "Bond" in the "previous title number" box.

• Like 2

I just start the process last Friday to get a 1987 XL250R titled. I got my inspection,all the paperwork done and my certified letter sent to the last titled owner. All this took about 2 hours and cost $10.00. $4.00 to DMV for the title search and $6.00 to send the certified letter. I got the certified letter back yesterday undelivered. I figure 2 more trips to DMV and 1 to the bonding company and I'll have a good running 1987 XL250R with title for a little over $200.00.

I paid $100.00 for the bike and was prepared to lose that inital investment if things didn't work out . So far it's been pretty easy and not at all like the horror stories I have read.

Yep, sounds about right. Been through the process enough times myself, to never buy another vehicle again without a title. The process isn't expensive, but it's a pain and inconvenience. They used to do "abandoned" titles, which were a LOT easier, but they wouldn't do that last time I tried. Basically you tell them where you "found" the vehicle, they look to see if it's currently registered, or stolen, and if it's a NO for both them they issue you a title. My last bike was a 1984 CR250R, and the bond was $100, which was the lowest bond that place had available.

The only way I'd do it again would be if the vehicle was free, or darn near close to being free. Every time you do this you risk losing the vehicle. If the last owner on file decides he wants the vehicle, it's his to take back, and you're out whatever you paid for it, and your time. But, the process does work, if you have the time and are willing to risk losing the vehicle.

Edited by yellowdatsun

In Missouri we do not need to title a dirtbike. I will be moving to Arizona. I have the MSA for the bike. Do you believe I need to get a Bonded title or will AZ issue me a title? I can copy off the Missouri DNV website where it says dirt bikes do not need to be titled. What are your thoughts?

From what I can see, titling a bike in Arizona has to do with ownership. If you can prove ownership, then you probably could get a title in Arizona

In Missouri we do not need to title a dirtbike. I will be moving to Arizona. I have the MSA for the bike. Do you believe I need to get a Bonded title or will AZ issue me a title? I can copy off the Missouri DNV website where it says dirt bikes do not need to be titled. What are your thoughts?

I titled a used bike in AZ using a MSO so you should be OK.