Sign in to follow this  

06 Crf450r homemade whip mount/bracket.

The past week I have been researching how to make a whip mount because I do not want to spend 40$ for a decent mount. There is not a lot out there on how to make one so I came with this mount. It is very solid and does not move at all. If anyone has made a mount please post pics of it. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406763645.656510.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406763660.672574.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406763682.989369.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406763699.406106.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406763712.756011.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406763725.156149.jpg

Looks like it will work good. A good safety precaution and maybe a requirement for some areas I would guess.

Forgot all about it but remember a kid that went to the same HS as me that was killed on his quad after collision with 4x4 truck.

Do yourself a favor and just buy another fender, and a couple big fender washers and stick the whip through the fender and be done with it.

this is exactly what i do.  i found a fender on motosport.com for super cheap.  

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406909766.803740.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406909788.269947.jpg

That looks good bud, I too have fabricated my own whip mount. Some advice while trying to fabricate your own is to try and push the flag mount as back as you can. The one I made here works good if your a cruiser, once your start jumping and moving your body around it can get in the way. Over all it work good and was solid.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406909766.803740.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406909788.269947.jpg

That looks good bud, I too have fabricated my own whip mount. Some advice while trying to fabricate your own is to try and push the flag mount as back as you can. The one I made here works good if your a cruiser, once your start jumping and moving your body around it can get in the way. Over all it work good and was solid.

About 20 years ago I made a whip mount that was very similar in placement for my CR500. On a hyper powdery day, the kind of day when you can be buzzing along in 3rd at about 40mph and lose the front wheel clear to the fender in the sand, I got tossed over the bars, and cut open pretty nicely with a broken whip.

Just saying. You dont want the base of the whip that close to the seat, because the base is normaly where they snap off, and they normally dont snap off clean.

I buy the Bell bicycle whips from WM, drill a new hole above the original axle slot the size of my axle nut, bolt it on and then bend the lower part of the bracket up around the edge of the swingarm, I let them hang back a little.  Never broke one yet but if I do its 10 bucks.  Before I started doing this I put a nice whip with the axle mount from the dealer, within 5 minutes my knobby grabbed whip and broke it and the mount had failed and let the whip move into the tire so after that the $10 WM bell whip is all I have used.  Not to mention it is so flimsy that if it did break I doubt it would do much damage to bike or body anyway.  But they hold up fine 5th gear