Sign in to follow this  

help with engine swap please

have a 1988 XR 250 that I just took the motor out of to put in another XR ... now my question is I have a motor out of a 1993 XR 80 that I wanting to put in the 88 250 chassis .... has anyone on here ever done that swap before ?     what all would I need ?       would the cdi box and all the engine electrical components work for the 80 motor ?       would the carb work ?  

No to all of that. None of the 250 components are going to work with the 80 engine. 

I wouldn't put the 80 engine in a 250 frame either, the 250 frame, bodywork, suspension components etc. are all going to overburden the engine.

Sounds like a reverse conversion.  I can't envision any benefits from the swap.

Counter shaft sprocket alignment to the rear wheel sprocket is the control for an engine swap.

have a 1988 XR 250 that I just took the motor out of to put in another XR ... now my question is I have a motor out of a 1993 XR 80 that I wanting to put in the 88 250 chassis .... has anyone on here ever done that swap before ?     what all would I need ?       would the cdi box and all the engine electrical components work for the 80 motor ?       would the carb work ?  

I would swap that engine into the garbage before going through this work. But if you want to do it, one of the main controlling factors is the swing arm bolt. If the diameter is the same for both, it should be a good start. Then you need the correct spacers to align the sprockets  as mentioned. Exhaust should be interesting, as will the alignment with the air box boot (the new engine will be much farther away and lower. You will have to probably fabricate a new head stay (not sure if that engine uses one) as well as the other cradle/engine mounts which will have to be welded to the frame. You will need to use your 80 components (carb, exhaust, electronics). With the end product in mind, it sounds like a looser to me. Better to rebuild that 250, sell it and the 80, and buy an old KDX220 or some 2 stroke 250 and ride the wheels off it. You will thank me!

thanks for the input guys it was just a thought the only reason I wanted to do it was so that the 250 chassis an the 80 motor don't just sit there and rot .... ill prob just sell that 80 motor then and use the 250 chassis for parts for my other xr's