Sign in to follow this  

moving up? bike problems

well well, its the infamous conversation everyone talks about but...

I own an 86 xr200r, FUN FUN BIKE! it probably my first full size bike, aside from a rm250 i owned/rode twice, anyways ive been looking at a lot of other bikes lately, mostly mx bikes, my goal for my xr was to make it look modern and have track days on it, and also trail ride it, but after swapping a 94 cr250 front end onto the bike ive started to realize, the front end is actually very high, even before the swap the handle bars, while sitting on the bike, come up to my chest! im 6ft, 220ish lbs! its hard to jump and get into attack mode on this because of the geometry of the bike, and jumping is very very important to me. the bike also gives very limited seat movement, like you can only lean so far forward and since the bars are so high it almost does nothing, not to mention the actual space to do that. but dont get me wrong its a fun bike! but my concern is not having enough cockpit room to properly get into attack mode for a jump or a tricky section, etc.
everytime i jump this bike either wants to dive bomb, or backflip. ive tried every approach, the main problem is you cant judge how much to being up the front end...

sitting on the bike is like sitting on a lazy boy, then when you give it gas and bring the front end up it creates an illusion that the front tire is a lot higher than it actually is! (MAIN CONCERN!!) therefore holding back my potential, it feels awkward to approach an obstical because you have to lift it up a lot higher than you think, and freaks me out into not wanting to do it.

im wanting to get a 125 2 stroke for my needs, itll jump a lot better, and plus if i get a flywheel weight it wont have so much wheel spin and will give me power to actually use, like the 4 stroke. the only down side i can think of is the obvious, bringing a separate gas can for me but that minor. 

what do you guys think? should i go for a 125? anybody been in the same boat? i just need some direction. thanks!

ps sorry i wrote a book.

lkljdg.jpg

asdsagdsh.jpg

You installed forks that are much taller than the original forks, but didn't raise the rear to bring the geometry back into spec. I wouldn't ride it that way. Either find a longer shock or have the fork travel reduced to correct the geometry.

Edited by Chokey
  • Like 1

Kdx 200/220? Mellower power band. A lot of low end pull like a 4t. A 125 is a good bike but if your concerned with its power delivery the kdx is a good choice, also a 200 would be a little better for your size, although you wouldn't have a problem on a 125.

You installed forks that are much taller than the original forks, but didn't raise the rear to bring the geometry back into spec. I wouldn't ride it that way. Either find a longer shock or have the fork travel reduced to correct the geometry.

The old forks were 2 inches shorter next to each other, I lowered the legs as much as they would go, I've always had this problem, even with the stock forks.

I'm planning on doing a little racing here and there and since there's a huge aftermarket market for mx bikes it really sells me on getting a 125

Ditch the clown bike. ANY full size MX bike from 1985 to current will be better for what you want to do.

Forget about a flywheel weight on a 125. They run even boggier on the bottom with one.

Any of the Japanese 125s will make you happy. Buy based on condition rather than brand.

Spend more to get a better bike rather than trying to fix up a roached one- it's cheaper in the long run.

• Like 1

haha clown bike, really suits it nice...

yeah ive been looking at financing a 2012 yz125, brand new! $5500 with $1500 down itll be about $300 a month for 16 months, pretty tempting

but it seems a little out of the question being my line of work is very inconsistent so ill probably have to find something decent.

the gal and i are go on a once in a life time opportunity to stay at a family friends cabin for a week, they have private trails, miles and miles! jumps everywhere! the back yard is literally a lake, the front is trails.the problem...we leave in 9 days... :banghead::smashpc::cry: and i have a feeling my 200 is gonna be giving me hell the whole time

Whoa whoa whoa.... 6ft, 220lbs? On a 125? Stop it. Get a 250 and rip on. You will have no where near "4 stroke power delivery" on a 125. You will have to ring that things guts out to move anywhere. Seriously, find a 10 year old smoker, pick a color, put a flywheel wheel weight on and be done lol. You will have waaaay more fun than messing with a 125. Just my .02....

Whoa whoa whoa.... 6ft, 220lbs? On a 125? Stop it. Get a 250 and rip on. You will have no where near "4 stroke power delivery" on a 125. You will have to ring that things guts out to move anywhere. Seriously, find a 10 year old smoker, pick a color, put a flywheel wheel weight on and be done lol. You will have waaaay more fun than messing with a 125. Just my .02....

I'm 200 with gear and my 2003 CR125 is a ton of fun. Super cheap and reliable as well. I ride my 2005 CRF250R a lot more but back when I only had one bike at a time it was usually a 125.

Not to say that you won't need to wring its neck. But that's part of the fun, they love to be ridden that way.

Don't bother with a brand new YZ though , they haven't changed since essentially 2006. Get a nice one from then on up for a lot less $$$.

3K should get you a showroom one. I like the KTM 125SX too. Excellent bikes from 2004 on up.

Finding a 125 that is set up for your weight will not be easy.  Usually its the first big bike kids get and the suspension is set up for someone about 140 pounds.  With you being 80 pounds heavier, instead of the suspension feeling soft, it's going to feel hard because the bike will sit so low in the stroke.

Honestly getting a used 250 is super easy and there everywhere! Finding a 125 feels like it's it's impossible. But I tried the 250 thing and it had so much power i didnt want to ride it, although with this new flywheel weight medicine I just discovered I wouldn't mind giving it another shot but you tell me, your the experts! I find it hard to flip my 200 so that's why I was thinking maybe a 125 since it's basically the same thing. And before you say other wise it has a high compression piston and super trap with jetted carb, it'll hold an xr400 all day

I'm 200 with gear and my 2003 CR125 is a ton of fun. Super cheap and reliable as well. I ride my 2005 CRF250R a lot more but back when I only had one bike at a time it was usually a 125.

Not to say that you won't need to wring its neck. But that's part of the fun, they love to be ridden that way.

Don't bother with a brand new YZ though , they haven't changed since essentially 2006. Get a nice one from then on up for a lot less $$$.

3K should get you a showroom one. I like the KTM 125SX too. Excellent bikes from 2004 on up.

Yeah I suppose. I'm more of a lugger and I forget that sometimes lol. I also skipped 125s and went right from an XR100 to a ktm 250sx, with some years in between.

To the OP, I've got a YZ250 with a 13oz flywheel weight and it's all linear power, truly four strokish. I'm planning on shaving it down a couple ounces because it's honestly a bit heavy to as where some of the 2 stroke fun has been reduced. But you're looking for that type of power, something heavy like that may work for ya. It still absolutely rips, but it's really manageable to ride and not really that scary at all. Whiskey throttles aside haha. May save on doing top ends twice a year too, going up to a bigger bike.

Side note, I have to commend you for the time you put into that 200. It's cool seeing people ripping on old iron!

Yeah I suppose. I'm more of a lugger and I forget that sometimes lol. I also skipped 125s and went right from an XR100 to a ktm 250sx, with some years in between.

To the OP, I've got a YZ250 with a 13oz flywheel weight and it's all linear power, truly four strokish. I'm planning on shaving it down a couple ounces because it's honestly a bit heavy to as where some of the 2 stroke fun has been reduced. But you're looking for that type of power, something heavy like that may work for ya. It still absolutely rips, but it's really manageable to ride and not really that scary at all. Whiskey throttles aside haha. May save on doing top ends twice a year too, going up to a bigger bike.

Side note, I have to commend you for the time you put into that 200. It's cool seeing people ripping on old iron!

Agreed that a 2502T with fww is a good bike for all around.

+1 on recommending a 250 2-stroke. You should be able to get a 10-15 year old 250 in good shape for around $2k.

yeah that sounds a little more capable compared to a 125, they are more like, nothing nothing nothing nothing FULL POWER! where as a 250 has both mid, bottom, and of course upper. but are all 125's like that? im seeing a couple nice 125's for pretty fair price around me...hmmm...are 125's pretty much no go for my body type? 

Honestly getting a used 250 is super easy and there everywhere! Finding a 125 feels like it's it's impossible. But I tried the 250 thing and it had so much power i didnt want to ride it, although with this new flywheel weight medicine I just discovered I wouldn't mind giving it another shot but you tell me, your the experts! I find it hard to flip my 200 so that's why I was thinking maybe a 125 since it's basically the same thing. And before you say other wise it has a high compression piston and super trap with jetted carb, it'll hold an xr400 all day

well then... A 200 4t and 125 2t are nowhere near the same.

IMO your too big for a 125. Get a 250 2 stroke, at your size they should pull you fine and be much more desirable in the long run. I weigh about 185 and I was ringing a 125's neck all day for power. Aboard a 250, you don't have to work it near as hard and it's a little less pipey too so you're not always looking for the powerband. A 250 2t should be exactly what you need.