Sign in to follow this  

Recommendations for short dudes on the 450x

Hey guys,

I upgraded to a 450x not too long ago from my 250r.

I really like the e-start, softer trail suspension, gearing and low-end torque.

However, the bike is bulky and tall and I'm short: 5'7" 190lbs

The height doesn't bother me at all on double track, desert, fire roads or flowing single-track but it's a bitch in the rocks, especially if there are switchbacks.

It has an IMS 3.2 but I have a stock tank, so I'll see if that helps a little bit with the bulk in the front. 

I recently installed a spacer in the rear to bring it down a bit and dropped the forks in the triple clamp. I also just ordered a new seat because I trashed my current seat and I will shave as much as possible off of that.

I don't want to mess with a lowering link because they are somewhat expensive and really reduce ground clearance.

Any other tricks to make it more rideable from a height or weight perspective from fellow shorties out there?

Thanks

--Arthur

I think you're on the right track. I shaved my seat about 3/4 inch and it helped. Probably the best thing you can do is poor lots of gas through it. The more familiar you get the easier it will be to handle. My 2 cents.

The suspension can be lowered internally by about 3"...however travel will suffer by the same amount. If you aren't jumping 120 triples, you should be able to deal with 9" of travel as opposed to 12".

Those are awesome Krannie!!!  Do you have a matching pair for date night???  ;)

Edited by WarHammer0106

The suspension can be lowered internally by about 3"...however travel will suffer by the same amount. If you aren't jumping 120 triples, you should be able to deal with 9" of travel as opposed to 12".

But also will diminish ground clearance ---- if your riding area has rocks , logs, roots and ruts (any or all) --- might be best to leave the suspension stock height

I'm 5'8 and the primary reason i have X's now was my getting fed up with having to kick full tilt mx bikes to life on uneven ground -- even flat ground was a problem

I would lower my suspension too, but my fave riding area already has uphill ruts deep enough to drag frame as it is

• Like 1

Don't think it's just a short guy thing, I'm  average at 5-11 and when I'm on rocky trails it's easy to dump the bike if you find yourself in those odd positions.

Just keep in mind that dropping the forks and such will change the way the bike handles. You can shave the seat, but only so much due to the accommodations for the battery. There really isn't a "good" way to go about getting things down a few inches. Maybe dropping the forks internally, as mentioned, would be the best route. The back is easier for a temporary fix by raising the spring perch, but should also probably be done internally or with the lowering links. Might kinda be a blessing in disguise, since now you can get the suspension set up, and tuned, for you and your riding style.

You need to grow some balls man, don't put your feet down like a &%$#@!! 

I owned a 2009 CRF450X ridden in CT. woods with lots of pesky rocks and tree roots all over the place.

I'm shorter, at 5;5" , and weigh less at 150 pounds.

First, are the suspension springs suitable for your weight (have they been changed to heavier ones for a heavier rider), and/or is the rear spring preload cranked up too much?

If the above checks out, my best advice is like riverworm (the 2nd post in this thread) was getting at:

Sounds like you need to adapt to the bike and learn how to ride it, assuming the suspension isn't too stiffly sprung for your weight or in some other way all messed-up.

A CRF450X will always have a heavier feel than your 250cc bike did due to the increased gyroscopic force of the spinning engine parts that are bigger and heavier.

This resists changing direction and adds stability.

This will never go away while the engine is running.

Out here in the snotty woods, there are lots of riders who have tried big-bore bikes for a while, only to realize it was a mistake if you value a lighter feel in the tight terrain handling dept.

Edited by YZEtc

You may think about finding a lower 2 stroke electric start.. The gasgas from 11' and earlier can have an e start be lower to the ground.. have great low end and have a lower seat height in addition to being reasonable in price. Gasgas are great bikes and have a horrible resale so it's great to buy used.. plus the older models are low in height.. They are awesome bikes and even have an electric start retrofit kit to put on from around 2002 and up I believe..if you find a great gasgas without an estart already on it.  You could buy a Beta 2 stroke enduro but the prices are high since they are pretty much sold out until the 15's come out.. the seat height is lower than ktm though and the starter works well amongst other benefits. Your 450x is a great bike but you aren't going to get much better out of your bike without giving up something.. if you put a koubalink it will be lower but you will lose some clearance.. it will still be on the heavy side. It might be worth it to try anyway.. Maybe the couple hundred bucks will be good enough and the added lower height might not be so bad with the kouba.  cutting your seat is sketchy.. I mean you can trim a little but it sucks to have a thin seat...I don't know how low the newer ktm 200's are with estart.. but it all depends on how far you want to go. Actually down low the 2 strokes are better than the 4 strokes..and of course lighter.. just gotta look at the estart element too.