Sign in to follow this  

Mods to xr200

I have a 2000 xr200 this guy in my city is parting out a 1996 xr250 wondering if the rear shock and front forks would fit and if it would give the bike a better suspension for trail riding?

I have a 2000 xr200 this guy in my city is parting out a 1996 xr250 wondering if the rear shock and front forks would fit and if it would give the bike a better suspension for trail riding?

Front forks (and front end)  will fit but will raise the front end of your 00 XR200, fixable by using the longer  84-85 XR200R/250R or 86-91 XR200R shock. And you get a front disc brake.

The 96 XR259R shock is usable if you shorten the lower clevis and raise the upper mount on the frame, covered in my XR200 Weight Reduction thread.

All of the above mods will make your 200 a much better trail bike, actually it will become a very good trail bike.

Edited by Chuck.

Hmm...83 XR250 shock. I've seen some of those floating around eBay. I think the eye to eye measurement is around 13.5" on that, so it should work.  Chuck would definitely know. I'm not sure what the differences were on the 83 rear shock versus the 84-85 on the XR250.

85 XR250 front end is a bolt on and provide more rigid forks and a front disc brake.

Don't know about 83 shocks.

Depending on year XR250R springs are about 10% stiffer than XR200 springs.

You could possibly just switch springs but if your 02 has stock suspension I don't know if the springs will fit because your bike has short suspension compared to the earlier XR200s, so shock and fork swap is the best.

I'll let you know about the 82-83 XR250...already got the shock, about to get a good deal on the forks.

More knowledge on the shocks in some other threads since 09.

The 84+ shocks are next gen with both rebound and compression clickers.

Edited by Chuck.