Sign in to follow this  

Anyone familiar with honda swingarm bearings?

Ok I asked several days ago in the crf250r forum and didn't get an answer. Posted it in general and it got deleted. I really need to get my bike together by saturday so please don't delete this mods... it's not specific to the crf250r. The X's are the same and the 450's probably are too...

So my bike has been in storage for years and I finally started riding again so I greased all the bearings. I noticed there was a thrust bearing and washer missing on the left side of the swingarm bearing. I ordered the parts and when I put them in they won't sit flat because of this divit/bump thing in the way. I can fit one washer behind it, but then the bearing won't sit flush with the washer. If I put all three (washer, bearing, washer) on top of it, they all sit lopsided and the dust seal won't sit flush with the swingarm where the thing is. It almost looks like it is a stop or something for the bearing race but idk I'm wondering if it's not supposed to be there since I cannot for the life of me get the washers/thrust bearings to sit flat or the dust seal to fit in flush. I put my bike back together with just one washer and no thrust bearing.

The thing at 11 oclock is what i'm talking about. The bearings/washers I'm talking about are #28 and #7. This is only on the left side it isn't like that on the right side.

vfvayh.jpg

2wmzx4p.jpg

Edited by imbackmkay

The divot/bump you see could be from the chain impacting the swingarm.  On the left side, the chain rides just above there.  If it is loose and flopping around, and with a worn out chain slide, it can smack the swingarm enough to dent the thin-walled section where the thrust bearings and washers ride.  On a blown up and disassembled CR250 I bought some time back, it had something very similar, though I think the chain actually derailed or broke.  When you take the swingarm off again, look under the chain slide for impact damage. 

I took a small file and filed out the divot/bump so that the thrust bearing and washer would fit.  No problems since then.

The attached picture is from some random CR250 swingarm on eBay.

Capture.JPG

Edited by erik_94COBRA

That bump should not be there. Looks like JB Weld or some kind of epoxy to me. Whatever it is will need to be removed for the seal to fit properly. Otherwise the bearing will fail very quickly from contamination.

ok thanks guys I just wanted to be sure it didn't have a purpose before I ground it off.

I just tore it down again today. Turns out the inside of the chain slider was worn down to the metal (like at 9 oclock if you are looking at the left side of the bike). I ground the metal off that was pushed in and it ended up making a hole in the swingarm. The place where that was there was like a square on the other side so I put some tape over the inside and filled it with jb weld.

i just repaired the exact issue on my 2011 crf450r and i also replaced the bearings, thrust washers and dust seals on my swingarm so if you would like some help send me a pm and ill help you anyway i can. as far as washers go are you talking about the washers that are on both sides of the thrust washers or are you talking about the spacers?

i just repaired the exact issue on my 2011 crf450r and i also replaced the bearings, thrust washers and dust seals on my swingarm so if you would like some help send me a pm and ill help you anyway i can. as far as washers go are you talking about the washers that are on both sides of the thrust washers or are you talking about the spacers?

Ok, in the parts diagram of the swingarm you see the square around "30?" At the top right corner of the box where that notch is is where the damage was. The part of the slider that covers that notch was completely gone and that notch was pushed into where the bearing goes. I'm really stumped as to what ground the slider away and did damage to the swingarm there as the chain doesn't slide there. It almost looks like there was an oversized front sprocket that did the damage but I know that is not true because I have always had a 13 tooth on the front.

I'm talking about the 2 washers on each side of the thrust bearing and the thrust bearing. The notch intruding to where they sit would make them sit high on one side. I got that fixed though so I don't really need any answers to get it together.

If anyone has any ideas onto how the slider got worn away where the chain doesn't even slide I'd be happy to hear them.

It must be the chain , it's a chain slider after all

It must be the chain , it's a chain slider after all

the chain doesn't rub there though