Sign in to follow this  

How to keep your bike safe

As some of you may know, I just finished building up my ktm 520 supermoto.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406771082.207419.jpg

So now my concern is how to I keep this beast from being stolen. When I'm at home it's always locked In the trailer but if I'm anywhere else I'm super nervous letting it leave my sight . I understand if someone wants to take it they will throw it in there truck and drive off hah but what are some things I can do to make me feel more ease about just sitting around when I'm in a store shopping, things like that. It's also the sx version so no key, just kick and go

I have a similar concern for my bike. A buddy of mine has a DR 350  (if I remember right) and he disengages the kill wire somewhere hard to get. Not entirely sure of how he did it, but he simply pulls the connector apart and of course the bike won't start anymore. It's in a fairly inconvenient spot on the bike I do know that! Won't keep it from being walked off though. 

There's probably better ways.

Both the above recommendations are good for a couple minute run into the store. For longer periods, a lock and cable, to something solid. My disc lock (don't remember brand) has enough room to feed the ends of a cable or chain through. Works good both ways.

Mike

Storing it in a trailer makes it easy to steal, just take the trailer!

The best security is secrecy, have said that it is often impossible to hide the bike from local kids.

So three issues:

Keep the bike hidden from locals, I park my PU in the garage and always keep my garage doors closed.

I use a cable to secure the bike to the garage and put padlocks thru the disc brake rotors.

Buy insurance.

Edited by Chuck.

The best security is secrecy, have said that it is often impossible to hide the bike from local kids.

So three issues:

Keep the bike hidden from locals, I park my PU in the garage and always keep my garage doors closed.

I use a cable to secure the bike to the garage and put padlocks thru the disc brake rotors.

Buy insurance.

I already have full coverage, but if it was to be stolen there's no way if get even close what I have into it, ha less my 3 grand in accessory coverage would go toward my payout if it was stolen? Not sure. Im not worried about it being stolen from home.

I'm more concerned of leaving it put in public. But I guess I should just take the truck if I will have to leave it unattended

Some like these you can install and use a padlock.

Edited by ridngslikecrack

Yeah , some SKUM are very prepared , looking for just an opportunity . Combined with Battery powered cutting tools , your bike(s) can be gone quick .. Very quick .

We had a bike stolen In our area recently AND he had previously removed the Wheels to stop it getting nicked !

• Like 1

They make locks that will go from rear disc to handle bars that will keep the handle bars fully locked in one direction. So some one would have to lift the back up and very awkwardly carry it at an angle or use multiple people either way with out a van it would be a time consuming feat that most thief's would go on to the next bike.

They make locks that will go from rear disc to handle bars that will keep the handle bars fully locked in one direction. So some one would have to lift the back up and very awkwardly carry it at an angle or use multiple people either way with out a van it would be a time consuming feat that most thief's would go on to the next bike.

What are they called? Do you have a link?

Also, if storing it in a trailer, make sure that there aren't any motorcycle related stickers plastered over it. Kind of reminds me of some people back in the day that would plaster stereo equipment brands (I.e. Rockford Fosgate/kicker/etc..) that they had in their cars, inviting thieves to steal their stuff.
  • Like 3

The only thing on the trailer is the imprint of a sticker that said D.A.R.E., some sort of anti drug program hah