Sign in to follow this  

Four stroke probs

What's up? Okay so my uncle wanted to start riding and bought a 1991? Xr250r in 2000 it's been ridden 2 times since ad hasn't been ran in 2 years. I want to buy it off him but this is what I know it needs: carb cleaned fresh gas, fresh oil and plug but I used starting fluid to get it to run two years ago and the thing smoked and smoked like a 2 stroke ...could it be valve seals or rings? And if its rings my dad said if I take it easy on it the rings would set back into place is that true? Thanks

Hi jake.....I am a pa woods rider also....my first quess on your smoking problem would be the valve seals because of the bike sitting so long (provided you freshed the gas and cleaned the carb out) but I have also heard of what your dad claims also, however I myself nor anyone that I know have ever tried that and successfully hadvthe rings seat themselves....worth a try I would say....good luck with your xr's smoke issue....RIDE ON!

How long did you run it it 2 years ago?

I agree with valve stem seals/guides, but if they are bad, they were bad when your uncle bought the bike. Its common for oil that is left in the head to seep past the valve seals and into the cylinder over a long time of sitting. Then next time its started, all that oil has to burn off, which is why you get the smoking. If it clears up after running it a while, you're good. If it does it all the time, then you have problems.

I'd say, for now, put most of your attention into thoroughly cleaning the carb. If fuel was left in it, its going to be a mess. Take apart everything you can take apart on it. The time and effort you spend there will pay off.

• Like 1