Sign in to follow this  

Rm 125 leaking transmission oil

My frind just got a 2002 rm 125 and it keeps on leaking oil from the oil drain plug we tryed out crush washers and it didnt seem to work what wrong with it

Look very closely around the threads sometimes since the bolt is harder than the aluminum case if it's overtightened it will strip out the threads or put a hairline crack in the case. If you find a crack you'll have to replace that side of the crankcase or take it off and take it to a shop that can weld aluminum. If the threads are flat and leaking through that you can retap the hole and flush the gearbox with gas and then compressed air then fresh oil.

Either way the hole would need retapped unless you replace that side if the case

Look very closely around the threads sometimes since the bolt is harder than the aluminum case if it's overtightened it will strip out the threads or put a hairline crack in the case. If you find a crack you'll have to replace that side of the crankcase or take it off and take it to a shop that can weld aluminum. If the threads are flat and leaking through that you can retap the hole and flush the gearbox with gas and then compressed air then fresh oil.

Either way the hole would need retapped unless you replace that side if the case

Bring it to a shop to do the retapping. Really. Its a bitch to do, ive done it twice and both times were never a complete success, and im not inexperienced either. I think it cost me around $200 for them to put in a threaded insert one time. Make your headache theirs. :evil: