Sign in to follow this  

Clutch cables

So i found out today my clutch cable looks like thisImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406775496.737774.jpgTime for a new one! any suggestions? Also, I have an aftermarket lever/ perch that the p.o installed. This wont affect what cable I need will it?

I would guess you need a new cable because of an aftermarket perch.  That is not the usual location of failure.  The cable needs to pull in a straight line direct from the lever to the conduit with no rubs, no kinks, no bends.

do you keep your wire well lubed?

noble, do you think friction from lack of lubing could cause failure there?

How many miles on the bike.?....On or off road use..?

I got it with 12k miles on it and it currently has almost 18k so i guess its my own fault. i havent lubed it since I got it. And almost all on-road miles since I got it. No idea with the p.o. Edited by SheWantsThe D-RZ

Cable failure is almost always due to flex of the cable. And most commonly near the cable end. On a throttle cable the cable flexes as it wraps on a cable drum but the drum is large diameter so the flex is not localized. A clutch cable both ends need to rotate at the lever.  Binding of the cabe end localizes the flex near the cable end which fatigues the cable strands.  A failure an inch or more from the end is unusual and probably means the cable is forced to flex at that location.  If you are getting years of use from a cable, not much reason to worry about it.