Sign in to follow this  

Swing Arm Maintenance FAQ follow up question

Hi all,

I have been lurking the for a long time while I had my DR-350 and I recently upgraded to a DR-Z. I've asked a few questions here and gotten a lot of helpful advice. After reading through all of the FAQ sections and figuring out what I plan to do first, I have a question about the swing arm maintenence. I plan to pull the swing arm apart and replace worn parts and lube the assembly. I've read all the horor stories of frozen swing arm bolts and my bike is an 03 model and I have no idea if this was ever done so I'm afraid I may run into the issue. My question is, is it safe to apply a penetrating lube like CRC freeze off or even something like the ATF/ Acetone cocktail every night for a few weeks before I attempt this project or are there plastic bushings or seals (or any other component) that will be melted by doing this? I just want to get this done as quickly as possible so I dont have to be off of 2 wheels for too long and I figure I can continue to ride and just apply lube to the area regurally to get a jump on any corrosion  that may exist,

ACE.

Not a bad idea to pre-treat everything. I have an '02 that I just replaced all of the bearings etc. in January. Maybe I had some good fortune, but everything came apart without a hitch. I wouldn't  worry too much since you are going to replace parts. The rubber seals are going to be trashed anyway. Hopefully for you the swingarm pivot will come out with relative ease. It all depends on the conditions it was ridden in and the previous owners maintenance schedule.

Good luck!

The main bolt for the swing arm pivot is the only one I've ever had an issue with. For that I've found have a large brass / aluminum punch of some sort is great for knocking it loose. If it's stubborn, you need something that transfers the full shock of a hammer blow to the bolt, without damaging the bolt.

Use all the pretreatment penetrating lube you want.. Not going to hurt anything you should not be replacing anyway. 

the problem is.. the place the large pivot bolt sizes is INSIDE the engine cases, There are two steel inserts in the aluminum cases halves that stick to the pivot bolt... and getting penetrating fluid to them is tough.. mostly you have to lean the bike over on its side, soak the bolt case and let it migrate in over hours... spritzing the side of the case is not going to wick much in there. 

The main bolt for the swing arm pivot is the only one I've ever had an issue with. For that I've found have a large brass / aluminum punch of some sort is great for knocking it loose. If it's stubborn, you need something that transfers the full shock of a hammer blow to the bolt, without damaging the bolt.

This. The swingarm pivot bolt is hollow, so the easiest way to remove one that is seized is to just shoot a MAPP torch down the inside of the bolt and get it nice and hot then smack it with a brass drift and it should come right out. I've seen my fair share of frozen pivot bolts and this method hasn't failed me yet

I used a wooden dowel to punch it out but mine wasn't frozen in there. I couldn't find a local hardware store that sells brass punches.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad to hear that not all of the older bikes are doomed to this problem. I've got access to any punches I'll need and I'll try heating it if it's too difficult to get out.

Another question, are there parts that I should plan on needing (seal, bushings etc) or do I need go tear it apart and see what condition the parts are in? I don't want to spend the $80.00 on a rebuild kit if I don't need all of the parts.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad to hear that not all of the older bikes are doomed to this problem. I've got access to any punches I'll need and I'll try heating it if it's too difficult to get out.

Another question, are there parts that I should plan on needing (seal, bushings etc) or do I need go tear it apart and see what condition the parts are in? I don't want to spend the $80.00 on a rebuild kit if I don't need all of the parts.

Disconnect the rear linkage and move the swingarm through it's whole range of motion, if you hear any clicking sounds or feel rough spots be prepared to replace the bearings but otherwise just grease everything up with some quality waterproof grease (i.e. Belray) and you should be good to go

You need a tool shop, I understand you have Sears in the States.

http://www.sears.com/search=brass+drift?part=&storeId=10153&url=&levels=Tools

I get that but those are online order only. At the time I had everything apart and headed to multiple hardware stores to locate one and was unsuccessful. Had I known no one carried them, I would've ordered in advance. The wooden dowel worked just fine in a pinch though.