Sign in to follow this  

Anyone used black RTV silicone adhesive for grips?

I have plenty of this at home, just wondering how it holds grips vs the typical grip specific glue? 

With dirt bikes we all know a fully glued grip is key or they will inevitably start to move and slide after a few rides. I won't to avoid that of course.

51MeE6xESHL.jpg 

No reason why it shouldn't hold if you use it with safety wire

Edited by RebelRider724
  • Like 1

Personally silicone just doesn't seem to "bite" rubber well enough. Best for its intended uses.

Safety wire the ends and nothing else. Holds perfectly.

Yep. I'm not as talented as Sandlvr...I use an air compressor and screwdriver to get them on....then safety wire. Works fine.

A lot of guys on here swear by hair spray too.

Yep. I'm not as talented as Sandlvr...I use an air compressor and screwdriver to get them on....then safety wire. Works fine.

A lot of guys on here swear by hair spray too.

I do blow them on with compressed air.

I do blow them on with compressed air.

There's a guy on here that somehow slaps the grips on with no help from compressed air....I thought it was you with the mad skills!

• Like 1

I've never used glue on any bike when replacing grips. Just spray Windex on the bar and in the grip, slide the grip on and safety wire each end. Once the Windex dries it won't move or come off until you want to change them again. :thumbsup:

Edited by spaceboy

I've never used glue on any bike when replacing grips. Just spray Windex on the bar and in the grip, slide the grip on and safety wire each end. Once the Windex dries it won't move or come off until you want to change them again. :thumbsup:

I use isopropyl... same deal though.  Slips on, stays put. :excuseme:

The real bitch is installing grips with grip heaters and insulating tape between the grip and bar.

2011-12-04_18-18-41_147-L.jpg 

Hair spray works great and is cheap..

Aaw geeze. Hairspray. I thought it was hair jell. Mine slide all over the place.

Had some spare Jheri Curl.

Edited by Katzat
  • Like 2

I agree with above post. Safety wire 3 places and will be fine. No mess and come off instantly with a bit compressed air. I use tie wire but its a little aggressive, if not done perfect. You'll have hurting hands

I ether use the gas method, or I used a new technique that worked for me, I sprayed the inside of the grip with carb cleaner lit it, slid it on, and they have held fine. Crazy but it has worked so far.

I guess I'm the only one that uses spray paint, no safety wire, works a hell of lot better than grip glue ever did.

I guess I'm the only one that uses spray paint, no safety wire, works a hell of lot better than grip glue ever did.

Negative! I will second this motion. Read it somewhere in a forum before, tried it and been doing it ever since. Although I finish mine off with safety wire, works great. No glue mess to try and get off when replacing, a simple wipe with some carb cleaner to get the paint off and you ready for new grips! Always do mine at night to let sit over night and dry.

• Like 1