Sign in to follow this  

Chain Question

I replaced my front and rear sprockets, and then the chain. The new chain is shorter than the old chain that I'm taking off. Everything that I have seen on the internet shows the new chain being longer than the old one and needing to be shortened by a few links. The back tire was as far back as you could adjust it with the old chain. I had to adjust it most of the way forward to get the new chain to fit. Is this normal or is something wrong?

Sounds normal so far.

When a chain wears, metal is wearing away from the pin/bushing joints, making them all sloppier as time goes on.

This added play in all of the joints adds up to a chain that is called "stretched".

So, when you say the old chain is longer than the new one, do you mean it's longer when measuring it with a tape measure, or that it has a greater number of links?

With a tape measure. Everyone on Youtube had to remove links, so that's what I was expected.

Sounds like everyone is simply buying a chain that has more links than needed.

That's pretty common since a lot of places stock 520-pitch chains that are 120 links long.

The typical dirt bike is around 112 or 114 links long.

I got mine there too. Rocky Mountain ATV is my local store. The one I bought is 112, so it sounds like i'm OK.