Sign in to follow this  

LED bar on dirtbike

Has anyone ran a car/truck type led bar on a dirtbike? Could it run on ac or would you need dc?

LED lights cannot be run off of ac power. They will not work.

Yep, you will need a rectifier, regulator putting out 12v because that is what the led bars for trucks will probably use. Your led bar will say somewhere the required voltage, as I have seen some on tractors that are 24v.

They're already available and built for bikes.  Cyclops motorsports being one company making them and they are impressive.

I've seen them listed on ebay that specify "12 to 28 volt".  There's one for a motorcycle on there now that specifies "12 to 85 volt'.  I don't see where YOU specify what voltage you want so, if that's correct, those must have an internal regulator.  Word of warning though, most of these come directly from China, if you look at their ebay ad.  So, if you have trouble with one, sure , they will take it back and send you another.  The shipping for sending it back to them - which YOU pay- is most likely more than the item is worth.

A small LED lightbar can be mounted on your bike, and a small battery mounted somewhere such as in the airbox will power the light for a while. If you need it lit for hours, you will need to carry another small battery or two with you, or rig up a charging system to your bike. I had a cree LED headlight on my 525sx, and it worked great, but did not last very long. When your LED light gives up, It's pretty damned hard to get another right away.

I forgot to mention most of these LED headlights on ebay are NOT DOT approved.  I think the only time you could get stopped is if the light output is SO bright as to blind oncoming traffic AND the officer.   Having said that, I've never heard of police stopping you for something else and looking at your headlight to see if it's approved in daylight.  Short trips on pavement, like on a DS bikes aren't that much of a problem, especially if you have the ability while riding to tip the light down just a little to maybe not get stopped.  

I run dual LED lights up front and LED brake and tail light

Are those headlights 2 seperate lights that you mounted side by side or was that 1 light?  Also, do you remember if they said "spot", "flood" or what the beam angle was?  Thanks.

FYI, LED's can run off AC if it doesn't use any type of electronic controller that requires DC. If you know what a rectifier (converts AC to DC) is built with you'll understand why you can run them on AC. This isn't theory. I run LED's on my bike on the stock AC stator. The only disadvantage is that the LED's only see half the current (voltage is unchanged) on AC.

• Like 1

Are those headlights 2 seperate lights that you mounted side by side or was that 1 light? Also, do you remember if they said "spot", "flood" or what the beam angle was? Thanks.

. Motoxvet.. It two lights mounted on a bracket I made. Each light puts out 450 lumes in a flood pattern. Edited by twindaddy
  • Like 1

Nice xr4!

As for the op, baja designs makes some nice leds, only downside is that their around $500

. Thanks! That's was at the end of spring.. Since I've add a bigger tank, fat bars /w different guards and pegs! The bike had/has the BD kit. The light sucked.. Had these I scored from work .. I've been looking online and found a few options for under $100 .. Smaller, lighter and brighter.
  • Like 1

check out cyclops adventure sports, http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Penetrator-LED-600-series-Dirt-Bike-Headlight-kit_p_14.html, i run tat light on my bike works perfect. I have their LI ION battery zip tyed under myseat and run all the wires needed. Ive went over an hour with ease supposedly 2.5 hours on their batteries.

construction is good and plenty of light. I got the 2 flood 4 beam option and dont lose much time in the desert at night... except when i forget to swap my tinted lens for a clear,.... but thats my own fault haha.