Sign in to follow this  

rmz 450 2006 stalls after 2 min and hard to start.

Hi.
This might be a long shot but someone might have any idea.
I have a friend with a RMZ 450 from 2006 with a rekluse and a Doma muffler installed. He bought it about two years ago and it ran ok the first year. Now after it has been standing still for about a year it gives him a hard time. When he bought it he got some help with jetting it and got the bike tuned for him. It's is his first bike and he is total new to trail and track riding.
Both me and my friend tried to figure something out but we don't even know where to start.

The bike is quite hard to start over all, when the engine is cold. About 10-15 kicks is needed.
It idle fine and runs fine. But after driving about two minutes the engine stalls when releasing the throttle. Then it's really hard and sometimes impossible to start unless we wait for about 10 minutes, then it can be started in about 2 or 3 kicks.

First we thought that it was some problem with the kill switch as the engine seemed to just stall randomly. But if we ride the bike and keep the rev up it seems like we can go on riding for a while.

When we tried to increase the idle speed of the engine to prevent it from stalling we noticed that the screw was a half turn from max. I also think the engine felt a bit too warm, but I'm not good with suzukis dirt bike so I don't know what's normal. But I did burn my finger on the cylinder while reaching for the idle screw even after waiting for a while.

After a bit of testing it feels like the rekluse doesn't work as it should as I can brake and lock the rear wheel and the engine stalls if I've been riding for about 1 minute or two. Or again it might be for the reason of the revs going to low but it felt as it stalled because of locking up the rear wheel.

Any idea where to start? Is the engine running to hot?
Engine oil is good and there is water in the radiators.

Edited by Rob*

Hello -

I too have an 06 RMZ 450, and it too has a rekluse clutch. I have noticed mine lately has been doing this. Mine doesn't have

an issue with starting at all. it usually fires up first or second kick. But when i fire it up for the first time and let it idle and warm up and then take off sometimes it will stall

and then is almost impossible to start. If i wait about 15 mins it will fire back up about 2 or 3 kicks. After that the rest of the day it's fine and runs great and starts with no issues and doesnt stall.

I'll be doing some more diggin into this to try and find out whats going on. I have checked my valve clearences and they are all well within spec. everything looks good.

I run engine ice and it works great. I dont think it's the Rekluse cluch it has been great and it hasnt done this in the past, but it may be. I do know when you start your bike with the Rekluse clutch (at least mine) it's easiest to start when you put it back in nuteral.

It sounds to me though that if you lock your back wheel up and it stalls, that is deff. the Rekluse not being set up correctly. Mine doesnt do that.

This winter i am going to tear my engine apart and replace the top end for sure, ( valves, piston etc...)

Hello -

I too have an 06 RMZ 450, and it too has a rekluse clutch. I have noticed mine lately has been doing this. Mine doesn't have

an issue with starting at all. it usually fires up first or second kick. But when i fire it up for the first time and let it idle and warm up and then take off sometimes it will stall

and then is almost impossible to start. If i wait about 15 mins it will fire back up about 2 or 3 kicks. After that the rest of the day it's fine and runs great and starts with no issues and doesnt stall.

I'll be doing some more diggin into this to try and find out whats going on. I have checked my valve clearences and they are all well within spec. everything looks good.

I run engine ice and it works great. I dont think it's the Rekluse cluch it has been great and it hasnt done this in the past, but it may be. I do know when you start your bike with the Rekluse clutch (at least mine) it's easiest to start when you put it back in nuteral.

It sounds to me though that if you lock your back wheel up and it stalls, that is deff. the Rekluse not being set up correctly. Mine doesnt do that.

This winter i am going to tear my engine apart and replace the top end for sure, ( valves, piston etc...)

My 2013 with Rekluse don't like to start in gear most big bore 450s are hard to start in gear.

I have a new 14 yz same thing don't like to start in gear. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you might have a coil issue.

Hello -

If anybody knows BDubb be the man he gave me spot on advice.
  • Like 1

I just did carb work to mine. carb rebuild kit. (all new jets.. stock) and a new accellerator pump diaphgram. and it has been running great. havent really thought it could be that, but havent ruled it out.( because it started doing it a few weeks after the carb rebuild)

Edited by ZeroG56