Sign in to follow this  

XR70 will not start

It's a 1997 and I have great spark and great compression. I cleaned the spark arrestor, replaced the plug wire and the CDI box, set the valve lash to .002 on both valves and replaced the carb with a Honda carb..

The gas tank has been cleaned. I have new fuel line and the petcock valve. Gasoline flows fuel freely all the way to the carb. I made sure the fuel cap is venting by blowing compressed air thru the gas cap and the vent line.

New spark plug, gap set correctly. Ground wire is tight. Ignition switch is on, fresh fuel in the tank. I even re-checked the new carb jets and float needle for dirt. It still won't kick over.

Any ideas? I am  really puzzled!!!

What kind of spark plug?  My son's 03 seemed to have plenty of spark but wouldn't start.  I put in a new ngk and it fired right up.

The only other thing I can think of is to try bypassing the run/kill switch.

• Like 1

It's a new NGK plug, the one it calls for, and it has a consistant blue/orange spark.

I will try bypassing the run/kill switch when I get home from work this afternoon. That may do it!

Thank you!

Any other ideas anyone?

Okay, it is now running great.

The new carb, which I got from Honda-PartsDirect.com, was missing an alignment pin in the throttle bore shaft, so it was never gonna run like that. This caused the main pilot jet assembly to twist anyway which it wanted in the throttle bore, thus causing the air bleed to not be uncovered. With no air being drawn into the carb, no fuel was allowed in the carb venturi.

To get it running, I used the new float, primary and secondary jets, float bowl and float inlet needle on the original carb. It now runs fine, starts with no effort, and appears to be very reliable.

I hope this info helps someone else, struggling as I did, to solve a problem.