Sign in to follow this  

Anyway to make 144 cheaper

Bought a bike with the athena 144 cylinder and don't like the fact of 150$ piston kits and 50$ gasket kits, when Im used to paying 100$ for a better piston kit. I was either thinking reverting back to stock cylinder if I can buy one for cheap, ( not sure cause of case mod ) or maybe eric gorr can fit it to the wiesco 58mm piston, not sure if thats any cheaper but just want a little info on this so I can use forged pistons.

Hate I say it but if your looking for cheap, this isn't your hobby. Unfortunately your going to be stuck with either "expensive" top ends or a far less powerful bike,with a stock bore.

Yea, you can do dirt bike riding without spending a whole lotta cash, and one of the best ways to keep the cost down is to leave the engine stock.  A stock 125 is a great platform for inexpensive riding because the top-end parts are cheap, and the lower power output of the motor and light weight of the bike result in less wear on consumables (tires, brake pads, chains, sprockets, etc).

If you plan on keeping the bike for a while you might invest in a stock cylinder.  It will cost more now, but save you money in the long run.

Edited by rpt50

Wiseco Part#: PK1392

Product Type: Piston Kits

Description: '05-14 Yam YZ125 GP Series 58mm (846M)

Displacement: 144cc

Bore - Standard: 54.00mm

Bore - Actual: 58.00mm

Bore - Oversize: 4.00mm

Stroke: 54.5mm

Treatment: Hard Coat Annodize

Note: Racers Choice

Note: GP Series

Note: No Intake Window

Note: Pinned on centerline

https://www.wiseco.com/ProductDetail.aspx?AppID=&ItemID=PK1392&ModelYear=&ModelID=

Wossner also has a 58mm piston

8160D400

Yea, you can do dirt bike riding without spending a whole lotta cash, and one of the best ways to keep the cost down is to leave the engine stock.  A stock 125 is a great platform for inexpensive riding because the top-end parts are cheap, and the lower power output of the motor and light weight of the bike result in less wear on consumables (tires, brake pads, chains, sprockets, etc).

If you plan on keeping the bike for a while you might invest in a stock cylinder.  It will cost more now, but save you money in the long run.

Have you actually calculated costs on running a 125 vs a 250 for around 100-150 hours?  I think you'd find the opposite of what you just mentioned.

Have you actually calculated costs on running a 125 vs a 250 for around 100-150 hours?  I think you'd find the opposite of what you just mentioned.

Not realy considering a 250 will wear tires, chains, sprockets much faster than the 125.

Not realy considering a 250 will wear tires, chains, sprockets much faster than the 125.

In my experience this isn't true if both bikes were used in the same way.  Especially if you're talking woods riding.  Finally, even if there is a small percentage of cost increase for those items.  At 150 hours of use a 125 has cost you $200-250 MORE in top end/ring changes than a 250 has.

The cost increase of a 125 has to factor into total cost of ownership though as the cost of the bike itself is generally cheaper than a 250.  At the price point of a new bike it's generally $800-1000 and on a used same year model it's around $300-500.  Until you get to the point where they're both old enough that the price is equal regardless.  Summary is in my experience a 125 isn't cheaper on maintenance but can be cheaper overall. 

Edited by kan3

I do have both size bikes.  Although I've never calculated the costs, it sure does seem like I spend less on the 125s.  Like I said, things don't seem to wear nearly as fast.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses; just to clarify I don't mind spending the money I was just wondering if there are ways to save on top ends seeing as I'm new to the big bore game. I prefer running forged pistons but not sure if any fit my cylinder, athena technical support is saying the wiseco 58mm piston has a different skirt, another told me it should fit. Im not sure. I just paid 146 for a piston and 38$ for the gasket kit so around 200 all together because I had to buy the wrist pin bearing. Anyone with that has found cheaper but quality piston and gasket kits is what I want to know.