Sign in to follow this  

What else to check for starting issue

Ive been dealing with an on going starting issue with my 07 250r for awhile now since it had new piston and rings, intake valves, and a jd jet kit, at first it was hard to get it started but would eventually start and seemed intermittent on starting good or not.  Now it seems to have only gotten worse where you could kick the thing all day long and it will just not start (but does bump start and run fine), no matter what starting procdure anyone seems to use.  Its been gone through by a pro bike mech and all the basics have been checked valves are in spec, timing is right, has fuel, has spark.  I cant afford to have a shop trouble shoot this forever so I want to narrow it down a bit.  What else can be checked and how?  Coil, ignition box?  I don't know looking for any ideas thanks.

If it started after all that engine work, I would guess that the carb could be gummed up and/or the valve job was done half-arse and the valves are not properly seating/sealing. Or the valve clearances are too tight, or the cam timing is off, even though they appear to be ok.

Really so it doesn't seem like it could be something unrelated to motor, such as electrical or something.  Ive got another mech that was recommended that I plan on taking it to, when I have the cash, so I guess Ill just have to wait and see what he says hoping its something simple that the other clown had over looked.

To take what chronicsmoke (nice handle :)) posted furthur...

As my 05 it got progressively harder to kick start but I could bump start, had to do a valve job but if you have some time and want to try some things.......

Here's what I would do. You might need a buddy for a couple of these steps but I've done these on my own

1) Turn the gas on and kick a couple of times. Basically to get gas into the float.(This is not critical but you can drain this later if needed)

2) Take of the seat

3) Turn off gas. Drain as much gas out of tank as possible, then remove tank. Drain out the rest of the gas.

4) Remove petcock from tank and check/clean/replace fuel filter. Before putting on the petcock, I would then clean out the tank. I've gentley pressure washed until clean water comes out the petcock hole. Shake out as much waster as you can, the let THOROUGHTLY dry. Otherwise you can use gas or kerosene to flush but this is really messy. I'd leave off cap/petcock and put in the sun. Make sure NOTHING can get back into the tank. After noticing I had a bunch of crap in the bottom of my fuel can and seeing pine needles actually fall into my tank I did this procedure. Fuel filter was pretty dirty

While the tank is drying out.

5) Pull the plug and make sure nothing can get into the cylinder. DO NOT stuff anything into the hole, cus your going to kick over the bike without the spark plug in the cyclinder but first.... Make sure it's the correct iridium part number (you can check gap) and it's new. With the spark plug in the cap and carefully resting on the cylinder head, kick over the bike. You should see a strong blue spark every kick. If not, there is an electrical issue. Plug wire, short etc.

6) If your getting a GOOD spark, re-install spark plug. Remove air filter. Open the throttle and spray carb cleaner or similar as far into the carb as you can. Kick over bike. If it tries to start, then there is an issue with the fuel delivery. Fuel filter, carb gummed up etc.

7)If it doesn't try to start then as another poster said, most likely an issue with the valves, timing etc,

Hope this is helpful

Edited by filterx

Are the valve clearances correct?

Double check your timing is correct, use the flywheel marks?

Does it have spark?

What size pilot jet are you running?

What is the fuel screw set at?

If the clearances and timing is correct, and you have spark, hard to start when cold is normally a sign you are lean on the pilot circuit. Start opening up your fuel screw a 1/4 turn at a time. Even if the plug is wet, it may still be to lean to start.

Cleaning your tank is probably a waste of time, and dont spray carb cleaner into these fcr carbs.

Edited by nzgsr