Older 1991 XR250 - Good choice?

I am what you would call a beginning trail rider. I had a small dirt bike as a child (Honda 75) but that was it. I recently purchased a 1991 Honda XR250 as I wanted a bike that I could take on-road/off-road primarily to reach trails without requiring a trailer. I purchased the XR250 because of the good price and because it looked really well maintained and there was nothing wrong with it (no repairs or work needed).

I am 5' 8" and 230 lbs and 44 y/o and I am concerned I might be too big for the XR250. The owners manual says 220 lbs is the Max weight limit and here I am at 230 lbs. I cannot "flat foot" the bike but I have no problem holding it up with what part of my feet that can touch the ground.I am able to swing my leg over no problem and can kick start it without issue. My main concern is that I am going to damage the bike because I am over the weight limit. My main reason for getting the bike was to explorer local trails. I am not a technical or competitive rider. Just wanted a low cost bike to explore trails and perhaps ride to work now and then (work is about 15 minutes from my home). No highway use planned and I have no need to exceed the speed limit of 55.

I read lots of forums, including ThumperTalk, and most people said an XR250 was too small and under-powered for someone my size. Most recommended something like an XR400. There are some XR400's (2001 model year) in my area for sale but it would require me selling the XR250 first and scraping together more money. I have ridden the bike for a day and it feels fine to me. Everything works including the directionals, front light, brake lights. Even the horn works. So here are my questions.

1) Am I going to harm the bike being 10 lbs over the max weight limit?

2) Would I be better served looking for an XR400?

3) Given how I plan to use the bike (exploring trails) is an XR250 a good choice?

4) Is the age of the bike (1991) a concern given that it was maintained well?

Thanks for any advice!

1) No man can kill an xr

2) Depends on if you become bored of the 250 power....likely yes

3) Excellent choice

4) No.  The age is irrelevant.  It's maintenance history that is most relevant.  The only concern with older bikes can be availability of parts.  I'm told this is not as much of concern with older xr's

Edited by Fattonz

1) No man can kill an xr

Hahaha!!!! I've seen much bigger guys ride much smaller bikes!!!

That bike will be perfect. Pretty sure XR bikes are impossible to kill. They will be the only thing other than cockroaches that will survive any type of apocalypse.

I'm 260 and ride a '90 250R. Sounds like yours is an L. The weight limit might be more towards springs and shock rates rather than fear of breaking the bike in half.

Yes, mine is indeed an L. How do you like your bike? If it is 1990 then yours is a year older than mine. Still running strong for you? I am really surprised just how well it still runs. Technically in my state it is considered an antique (in one more year). However, it still seems to ride and drive great.

Edited by human2940

At my level of experience (read: a couple years... 20 years ago), it runs and rides just fine. To be honest, I've only had it a month and have only taken it out once. I'm done with all the maintenance it needed and am taking it out again this weekend. It wasn't quite a basket case when I got it, but damn close. It's got new tires, new filters, all new drive (chain, sprockets, sliders), rebuilt carb w/new air valve and general cleanup.

I am what you would call a beginning trail rider. I had a small dirt bike as a child (Honda 75) but that was it. I recently purchased a 1991 Honda XR250 as I wanted a bike that I could take on-road/off-road primarily to reach trails without requiring a trailer. I purchased the XR250 because of the good price and because it looked really well maintained and there was nothing wrong with it (no repairs or work needed).

I am 5' 8" and 230 lbs and 44 y/o and I am concerned I might be too big for the XR250. The owners manual says 220 lbs is the Max weight limit and here I am at 230 lbs. I cannot "flat foot" the bike but I have no problem holding it up with what part of my feet that can touch the ground.I am able to swing my leg over no problem and can kick start it without issue. My main concern is that I am going to damage the bike because I am over the weight limit. My main reason for getting the bike was to explorer local trails. I am not a technical or competitive rider. Just wanted a low cost bike to explore trails and perhaps ride to work now and then (work is about 15 minutes from my home). No highway use planned and I have no need to exceed the speed limit of 55.

I read lots of forums, including ThumperTalk, and most people said an XR250 was too small and under-powered for someone my size. Most recommended something like an XR400. There are some XR400's (2001 model year) in my area for sale but it would require me selling the XR250 first and scraping together more money. I have ridden the bike for a day and it feels fine to me. Everything works including the directionals, front light, brake lights. Even the horn works. So here are my questions.

1) Am I going to harm the bike being 10 lbs over the max weight limit?

2) Would I be better served looking for an XR400?

3) Given how I plan to use the bike (exploring trails) is an XR250 a good choice?

4) Is the age of the bike (1991) a concern given that it was maintained well?

Thanks for any advice!

I'm 6'5 270 pounds and my 2000 xr250r is still fast. At least to me. I out weight my bike by 30 pounds. I don't have a problem hanging with my buddy's.

2000 XR250R

135 jet

Snorkel mod.

No baffle

Bone stock

Yes, mine is indeed an L. How do you like your bike? If it is 1990 then yours is a year older than mine. Still running strong for you? I am really surprised just how well it still runs. Technically in my state it is considered an antique (in one more year). However, it still seems to ride and drive great.

I have an "L" and you can definitely kill one because they don't have an oil cooler like the "R" model.  The XR400 has about three times the oil cooling capacity of an XR250R.  And you could definitely find yourself in situations where you need the 400's torque.  

In cool Maine, if you stay off single track and run at half throttle most of the time, you will be fine with the "L".

I just had to reply to this...I am 48 y/0..233 lb..and I thought the very same things when i purchased my 93 xr250r....let me tell you....I was never more happy with the performance and the dependability of this xr....sure there are times I might have wanted more power for steep hill climbs and such....but I took the liberty of dropping my front sprocket a tooth and raising my rear a few teeth and wa-lah!!!....I got the power/grunt I needed for those steepies.....lost some on speed,, but I like the lighter weight of the 250 and i am just putt putting around trail riding anyways.... love the bike!!!.....

• Like 1

I have an "L" and you can definitely kill one because they don't have an oil cooler like the "R" model.  The XR400 has about three times the oil cooling capacity of an XR250R.  And you could definitely find yourself in situations where you need the 400's torque.  

In cool Maine, if you stay off single track and run at half throttle most of the time, you will be fine with the "L".

any cheap and easy oil cooler options for the 91 250L ?

I'm 230lbs without gear (+10-15lbs with gear and tools) and race enduro with my clapped out '83 xr200r.... I really don't think you can kill an XR (as said) unless you do triples at the track all day. you might get tired of the dated suspension if you're an aggressive rider, eventually. 

any cheap and easy oil cooler options for the 91 250L ?

It's not easy.  You need clutch cover, oil lines, and cooler from the R.  You also need to install mounts on the frame for the cooler, move the headlight forward, and re-route cables and wiring.