Sign in to follow this  

Minnesota motor rebuild near Mpls

My 07 Yz250F is starting to burn some oil.  I just had the valves adjusted and the bike starts and idle fine but its definitely burning some oil and I think its time for a new top end at the least.  Where is a good place at a fair price to have the motor work done and what can I expect to pay?  I figured I'd pull the motor if needed to save some coin.  My list of questions are;

1; where

2; how much with parts and just labor if I supply the parts on my own

3; in bike vs out

4; just upper and whole rebuild

I'm kind of new to the dirtbike world so sorry if I sound stupid, I am

My 07 Yz250F is starting to burn some oil.  I just had the valves adjusted and the bike starts and idle fine but its definitely burning some oil and I think its time for a new top end at the least.  Where is a good place at a fair price to have the motor work done and what can I expect to pay?  I figured I'd pull the motor if needed to save some coin.  My list of questions are;

1; where

2; how much with parts and just labor if I supply the parts on my own

3; in bike vs out

4; just upper and whole rebuild

I'm kind of new to the dirtbike world so sorry if I sound stupid, I am

Check out Clay his is the Pipe Dr. son and I hear good things about his work.

http://pdrperformance.com/

You could call Bill Bune in Anoka.  I don't know how much they tackle an entire motor.  I know they do a lot of sub assemblies like heads, cylinders, etc.....

I've seen some complaints about them but I've had a couple of cylinders bored and was perfectly satisfied with the work.  

I rebuilt the top and bottom end myself on my 05 yz250f a couple winters ago. I bought a reconditioned head with the valve train in it already for $500. You can get a valve rebuild kit for around $350 but I needed a new head because the intake side motor mount was breaking.

I got a wiseco bottom end kit off eBay for $200.00. Piston and rings as we'll for $100.00. The wiseco kit only came with the main bearings but I was able to source the other bearings except for one at Tull bearing in Minneapolis.

Had the cylinder re-plated at millenium technologies for about $325.00

This was my first engine rebuild and all I can say is that I am glad I did it myself. It was a great learning Experience.

Bill Bune in coon rapids rebuilds engines. Not sure what the cost is. I think his pricing is on his website though. I've had him put together a crankshaft for the Gasgas and some other random shop stuff. They seem like good folks.

I just had the valves adjusted and only one was out of spec.  I think it only needs a piston.  I ride about 80 miles a week at namaji, I'm guessing since that's so wideopen its hard on the rings and thinking that im good with just a piston replace.  I'm not opposed to doing the whole motor if it needs it though, cheaper than a new bike.  Hopefully..................

• Like 1