Sign in to follow this  

Replacing round slide carb with flat slide - issues?

I'm just curious as to whether anyone has successfully replaced a round slide mikuni with a flat slide of the same size - I have a busted old vm28 on my '71 suzuki ts250 right now, and it seems like a flat slide carb would be a lot easier for me to obtain (amazon's got 'em!)  What worries me is whether or not the new carb will fit properly in the position of the old one without getting a new, longer airbox boot - which I imagine will be difficult or impossible to find for this bike.  I know i'll already need to find a boot adaptor to connect the carb to the intake, as this machine has a 60mm flange mount instead of a spigot. 

Any input you guys have for me would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm just curious as to whether anyone has successfully replaced a round slide mikuni with a flat slide of the same size - I have a busted old vm28 on my '71 suzuki ts250 right now, and it seems like a flat slide carb would be a lot easier for me to obtain (amazon's got 'em!)  What worries me is whether or not the new carb will fit properly in the position of the old one without getting a new, longer airbox boot - which I imagine will be difficult or impossible to find for this bike.  I know i'll already need to find a boot adaptor to connect the carb to the intake, as this machine has a 60mm flange mount instead of a spigot. 

Thanks!

I have found carb dimensions for most carbs floating around the Internet. You will also have to deal w/ jetting the carb as well & possible cabling.

Thanks!

Here's  a link to dimensions for the 28mm flat slide

http://www.ufo-productions.com/Flat-Slides-Carburetors/VM28-418-CARB-28MM-MIKUNI-FLATSLIDE-VM28-418.html