Sign in to follow this  

250 2t signs of wear and tear

Hey TT,

KTM 2t newb here; considering a used (new to me) current generation 250xc or 250sx for 50/50 moto/offroad racing in the south west USA and would appreciate any pointers on what to look for on good used examples.

I may end up splashing out on a new bike, but if i can find a decent 30hr or less example, I may pull the trigger and buy privately. I've been racing a YZ250 for the last couple of years, and been around bikes for the last 20 years but have never owned a ktm 2t. I understand the usual: looking for an engine that's never been opened, wear on the pegs and gear shifter tip etc.

Any detailed advice from those that have owned these bikes would be appreciated.

Obviously, if you have one for sale or a decent bike to donate for my racing (privateer/hardluck stories available on request), my PM inbox is open. Thanks in advance for your post :ride:

Any obvious problems with this bike?
I doubt it's got less than 30hrs but I'll check tonight.

It's a '12 sx which has been used in the desert.

ANy suggestions on a good price range. I'm thinking 3.5k max. 

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Edited by Swappa

If you can leave with the bike and 3500 less dollars, thats a deal. Hell, I'd jump on it for that!

Edited by orangyktmthing

Check the chain guide tabs for cracks or breaks... I broke mine and had to have them welded...it's a common problem and overlooked...

Check wheels for cracking too...

Edited by Monk
  • Like 1

Yeah, he wouldn't even let me say a number less than 4k (his asking price), so i left.

It was kind of vibey, as I expected after being run in the desert. A topend may have fixed it, but I wasn't about to find out. If I was in a better position financially and it had just rained in the desert , then maybe, but not this week.

if you plan to keep it for a while i would just get a new one and avoid buying someone elses junk, which is what most used bikes are. once in a blue moon youll find a garage queen but youll pay almost new bike price. if your hoping to find a minty for used price  i dont see it happening

Edited by harryhandshake
  • Like 1

if you plan to keep it for a while i would just get a new one and avoid buying someone elses junk, which is what most used bikes are. once in a blue moon youll find a garage queen but youll pay almost new bike price. if your hoping to find a minty

if you plan to keep it for a while i would just get a new one and avoid buying someone elses junk, which is what most used bikes are. once in a blue moon youll find a garage queen but youll pay almost new bike price. if your hoping to find a minty for used price  i dont see it happening

for used price  i dont see it happening

Once in a blue moon is right. I filter through 1000s of private sale ads to find the right bike. I picked up my last bike (minty fresh YZ250) for a couple of grand and it didn't cost me anything to own after riding the wheels off of it for two years. I'm just trying to do the same/similar on a KTM, while most drop a couple of grand in the first two years of owning a new bike.

You can get 2014s for around $7k OTD right now.  I don't think you'll find a recent KTM in your price range, they just hold their value too well.  Just depends on how old you're willing to go I guess.  

In TX, $3500 will likely get you into a good 2009.  

Edited by kingkabong

well if you have a ton of free time to scour classifieds hoping to find a like new bike at a rock bottom price then good luck. its rare but could happen. for me it made more sense to buy new. i have better things to do than sit at a computer all day praying i find that once in a lifetime deal and hoping i get there before someone else snatches it.

In TX, $3500 will likely get you into a good 2009.  

Same in Michigan. At the moment, that is about the price range of the 2007-2010 era bikes.

well if you have a ton of free time to scour classifieds hoping to find a like new bike at a rock bottom price then good luck. its rare but could happen. for me it made more sense to buy new. i have better things to do than sit at a computer all day praying i find that once in a lifetime deal and hoping i get there before someone else snatches it.

Well, it can happen pretty easy, just have to buy in the offseason. That is the time to move on bikes out here at least, some people can't justify seeing a dirt bike in their garage in the winter, compared to a lump of cash in their hand.

• Like 1

'like new' obviously meens something different between you and me. im sure i can find a handful of like new bikes but they wont be cheap

i dont see what the season has anything to do with it. wouldnt sell mine for a penny less regardless if its jun or october. sure october would meen the bike is 4months older but im not getting lowballed just because its not 80 degrees and sunshine. if people are ditching like new bikes for dirt cheap just so they dont have to look at it everyday when they walk through the garage there  must be some dumb people up there in the widwest

hey harry, i tend to agree with you on the xc's. they are super-rare, especially as garage queens. I haven't called about even one yet, as they're all beat to ...!

the 250sx, on the other hand is a beast and is intimidating enough to put any mxa-reading vet back by the pool with a beer in his hand. my search has revealed many more 250sx garage queens and as these are not permitted on public land in california at this time of year and most of the vets are hangin' by the pool, there are a few to choose from and the prices are pretty low.  

Edited by Swappa

You can ride a new red sticker bike all over in California year around. You just can't ride in the few state OHV parks (Hollister Hills, Prairie City, Carnegie ect.) You can ride in any national forest with a red sticker You just need to buy a spark arrester. I also ride at the Zeb Armstrong track at Prairie City.

'like new' obviously meens something different between you and me. im sure i can find a handful of like new bikes but they wont be cheap

i dont see what the season has anything to do with it. wouldnt sell mine for a penny less regardless if its jun or october. sure october would meen the bike is 4months older but im not getting lowballed just because its not 80 degrees and sunshine. if people are ditching like new bikes for dirt cheap just so they dont have to look at it everyday when they walk through the garage there  must be some dumb people up there in the Midwest (fixed the spelling, but I don't live in the midwest.)

Between june or october is still riding time here in the great lakes region. There is more room for saving money when there is a dirt bike in the garage and a foot of snow on the ground. I can also find some "like new" bikes, that people think are worth a couple bucks less than a new/non current model year, doesn't mean that they are going to get that amount of money for it, though. I buy bikes in the winter, proven fact that there is more moving room on price. Another thing is that human nature always comes into play, regardless of where you live. Someone has a nice bike that is sitting in the garage, december is quickly approaching and they want to spoil their children...and I can get a nearly new bike, at a significant price break, compared to in the spring/tax time/summer, perfect opportunity for me! I can say that I have a lot less into my 300xc than what its worth, more than likely due to a crappy winter.

Edited by orangyktmthing

Check the chain guide tabs for cracks or breaks... I broke mine and had to have them welded...it's a common problem and overlooked...

I've been considering the bulletproof designs chain guide mount for this reason.