Sign in to follow this  

Just purchased 2013 DRZ400SM

My second bike (SV650s) and first supermoto. Love this color scheme and only 300 miles on the bike!

What other taillight replacement are out there besides the regular DRC and DRC with 12 o'clock chip? 

I have seen a yoshimura kit but I wanted to see what everyone could recommend. I want to keep stock turn signals if that matters.

Also do the 2013-present differs from the 2005-2009 SM models? Some companies say that my bike incompatible for certain parts.  

10443516_10101612202625141_4025304287010

10345828_10101612202675041_6296674910310

10384345_10101612202734921_7008497676319

• Like 3

Welcome to the SM club. As far as taillights. There are a bunch of universal kits but the DRC looks the best IMO. Yoshimura is just over priced.

All our bikes are the same. Just bold new graphics separate us.

• Like 1

Exhaust is one thing that can be a issue with fitment. The non street legal Real E drz doesn't have the same mount at the foot peg that the S and SM have but can be modified to fit and they have a different subframe

You can keep the stock turn signals with the DRC kit. Just don't get the 12 o`clocks lab board as that intended for integrated turn signals. DRC fender eliminator is the best kit imo.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies!

So most parts like exhaust and fender eliminator are compatible from 2005-2009 & 2013-present on both DRZ400 S and SM models?

What places can you guys recommend for parts? I was a loyal bikebandit and motorcyclesuperstore shopper with the old bike.

Also with the DRC fender eliminator.... are there extra turn signal brackets that need to be bought?

Edited by claydus

Just checked out the TT store. FMF power core is offered on 2013 drz400 S but not on the SM. Anyone know whats up with this?

However, a universal slip-on FMF powercore 4 is offered. Has any had issues with fitment before?

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/FMF-Racing-Universal-PowerCore-4-Spark-Arrestor-Slip-On-1-5in-to-2-0in-Inlet-p4457651.html

Edited by claydus

Claydus , the bikes havent changed over the years , just the bodywork/graphics and colours . An FMF pipe for a 2013 S will fit a 2005 -15 SM , the only thing I would recommend when buying an exhaust is to get the header pipe aswell . The standard S/SM have smaller diameter header pipes which restrict gasflow . If you fit a slipon muffler to the bike , all it is going to do , is make noise ( but it will be much lighter than stock ) Get a full system and do the 3x3 mod and rejet , you wont regret it as the bike will run a lot better than the standard setup , greg 

• Like 2

Id reconsider running the stock turns, especially with a DRC tail... It looks pretty bad.

i did. i think it looks pretty clean

40977FE2-B49B-4D02-A159-311347526252_zps

• Like 2

Congrats on the purchase. I too just recently picked up an 2014 and have just under 300 miles on her. I installed the DRC tail light but still using the oem turn signals. I also did the 3x3 and JD jet kit. Up next is the exhaust. I've decided to go with the yoshi rs-2. Most folks here will tell you to go with the MRD which was designed for the DRZ but the major drawback atleast for me was how loud the exhaust was. I like my hearind and my neighbors.

• Like 1

Congrats on the purchase. I too just recently picked up an 2014 and have just under 300 miles on her. I installed the DRC tail light but still using the oem turn signals. I also did the 3x3 and JD jet kit. Up next is the exhaust. I've decided to go with the yoshi rs-2. Most folks here will tell you to go with the MRD which was designed for the DRZ but the major drawback atleast for me was how loud the exhaust was. I like my hearind and my neighbors.

the yoshimura is just as loud. but you won't be disappointed. its a great exhaust and produces power down low

• Like 1

Any negative side effects of adding full exhaust system (header and slipon) before jetting?

non really. other that it won't horribly well

Won't changing the entire exhaust system without jetting lean out the bike further? My bike was run like that when I bought it, and the header was badly colored. 

Once again you can add the QC and SA to the MRD Z-Pro and it will have a nice exhaust note. Its the Open Core that is the problem child for the hearing unimpaired...LOL!

• Like 1

Any negative side effects of adding full exhaust system (header and slipon) before jetting?

If the bike hasnt had the 3x3 mod yet then you could ride it for a while without doing the airbox , but dont go riding at wide open throttle down the highway . Keep the snorkel in , if it still has it . Look at getting a jet kit , James Dean is overall the best , and fitting isnt hard . There is a very good vid on youtube how to do it , greg

Edited by hinksy
  • Like 1

I have the same bike, I did the 3x3, MRD, JD jet kit.

Looking back I should have skipped the JD jet kit and went with a FCR 39 from the TT store.

I put a yoshi rs2 on my drz. It's not that loud. But if yours has pollution gear it has to be removed. Mine had to be removed as in Australia it's not compliant with out it. But I had to remove it to fit my pipe.

Edited by smoo74