Sign in to follow this  

2011 350 sxf Engine turns but does not start . got spark, timing set, got fuel. need a little help.

Hey All,

Hoping for a solution here :-)

SXF 350 2011

So I just ended my session and went to start the bike but it just turned over and did not fire up.

I have a spark
The valve clearances are fine
I pulled the injector out and pushed the start button and petrol fires out. Cleaned with WD40 anyway.
Both fuses are ok.
Cleaned the TPS.
Battery is charged.
Bike will not bump start.
The fi light flashes once then goes out. Cant remember if this is normal but its not listed as a code in the manual so assume it is.

Also pops somtimes when you try to start it.

The timing was off when I checked the clearances so I reset this. 

Should the bike still try to start if I have my finger on the kill switch? 

The injector was been replaced before and extra filter installed along with a petrol tank sock.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

I had a similar issue with my 350 except mine stopped running in the middle of riding. The 350 is a very unique motor. I found that my issue was acutely the cams. The gears on the cams are prested on tour a smoother tapered surface on the cam and the gears had rotated on the cam just enough to throw the timing out of wack. You need a few special tools to fix the issue; there is a tool made for pulling the gears off, a tool to lock the cams in place to keep the flats where they need to be and another tool that is basically a solid cam tensioner to keep the cam chain completely tight when reinstalling the gears.

It is possible that this is your issue but it's strange that it was running fine before you shut the bike off.

One way to test your timing is to take your header off and the and turn the engine over by hand using the flywheel bol and put your left hand over the exhaust while slowly turning the engine over. If you get suction through the exhaustrouble then your exhaust cam is out of time and the cam gears should be pulled. The same can be done on the intake looking for air exhausting out the intake side.

I had a similar issue with my 350 except mine stopped running in the middle of riding. The 350 is a very unique motor. I found that my issue was acutely the cams. The gears on the cams are prested on tour a smoother tapered surface on the cam and the gears had rotated on the cam just enough to throw the timing out of wack. You need a few special tools to fix the issue; there is a tool made for pulling the gears off, a tool to lock the cams in place to keep the flats where they need to be and another tool that is basically a solid cam tensioner to keep the cam chain completely tight when reinstalling the gears.

It is possible that this is your issue but it's strange that it was running fine before you shut the bike off.

One way to test your timing is to take your header off and the and turn the engine over by hand using the flywheel bol and put your left hand over the exhaust while slowly turning the engine over. If you get suction through the exhaustrouble then your exhaust cam is out of time and the cam gears should be pulled. The same can be done on the intake looking for air exhausting out the intake side.

When you say your timing was off ? As in one tooth ? Wonder if the piston touched the valves if it was one tooth off

When you say your timing was off ? As in one tooth ? Wonder if the piston touched the valves if it was one tooth off

no it didn't jump a tooth' the cam gears rotated on the cam itself. it acts similar to jumping a tooth but it's not as drastic of a change in timing that the valves would touch the piston.

This happened to mine, just cranked and every now and then it would shoot a blue flame. It sounded like it was hitting fuel. After a few days of testing everything I took it to the shop. Turns out my fuel pump was out and what I was hearing was the injector. So new pump and I was good to go. I have noticed a lot of these bikes having pumps burn up.