Sign in to follow this  

What's the best to get rust out?

On my 79 Honda XL125S the second gas tank is rusted from the previous owner. The outside is nice but the inside is rusted. Its not to thick but enough to start plugging up the carb. I seen the BBs but the tank has a lip hard to get them out, and I seen the baking soda solution but forgot how to set it up. So if someone remembers please tell me.

Hi There,

I have recently done my tank. I used "metal Prep" from POR15.

Once the rust had gone, I rinsed in two stroke oil to prevent flash rust. Looks ok at the moment.

I was going to try vinegar followed by baking soda - there lots of clips of that working on youtube.

I used Metal Rescue in a rusted tank, just let it soak and agitated with some drywall screws every so often over a few days.

Worked great, I didn't even seal it after words. One fuel filter clogged after 2 rides, but since then has been fine.

http://www.metalrescue.com/consumer.aspx

Can you replace the metal tank with a plastic tank? Are you restoring the bike, replacing it not an option?

2000 XR250R

135 jet

Snorkel mod.

No baffle

Bone stock

I used Metal Rescue in a rusted tank, just let it soak and agitated with some drywall screws every so often over a few days.

Worked great, I didn't even seal it after words. One fuel filter clogged after 2 rides, but since then has been fine.

http://www.metalrescue.com/consumer.aspx

2x on this stuff, cleaned tank out with simple green, threw a bunch of bolts and nuts in it to get most of the big rust spots out, degreaser again a few times than added the metal rescue, turned it every 3-4 hours for a full day and it came out really good!!

I have used EvapoRust on several tanks and old Jerry cans. Bought it at my local Oreilys auto parts. Worked really good, just let it sit in the tank for a day, rotating often enough to keep all the surfaces wet. Putting a bit of scotch brite pad on a stick and scrubbing the stubborn spots helps too.

I have another clean tank on it at the moment but have a carb problem I think. Throttle response is very slow and I have to slowly give it more gas to get to the high rmp. If I give it half throttle or more quick it will bog out. I cleaned the carb jets and everything. Ran perfect last year with the settings on it, will idle and go fast with lots of power but have to go slow with the throttle.