Sign in to follow this  

Went from green, red to orange...

Hi guys,

Since last week there's a orange one in my garage too...maybe you'll wonder why I say 'too'

I'm from the Netherlands, and over here in Europe lots of guys ride KTM. You'll see the other brands too, but orange is often seen over here.

Whiles I'm a 2stroke fan, KTM is one of the brands which still make them and keep developing these bikes. I always liked the stealthy lines of the 2007-2010 model when they came on the market, and the reviews about these bikes on the net are great too. So right now there's a 2010 250SX in the garage, which I'll ride allround. Mostly woods and trails, but occasionally I hit the track to do some amateur jumps and cornering :p

I own the bike for a week now, and didn't had the chance to ride it yet...although I had time to dress it up a little to my liking for now.

Previously I owned a 99 KX250 and a 04 CR250, which I both loved. Both went with a some pain in the heart, but I'm a little of a project guy, so the two where finished and also not quite the ride I was looking for. Pictures of them can be found here on the forum when people are interested.

Who knows...maybe the KTM is a keeper ;)

Picture coming soon....

Edited by Daniello
  • Like 2

Here are the photos, took them 5 minutes ago:

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406915672.438070.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406915697.230132.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406915707.476158.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406915720.257497.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406915732.612509.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406915752.846885.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406915765.623882.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406915789.582381.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406915804.245722.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406915815.719956.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406915827.116234.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406915904.838826.jpg

Didn't had the chance to ride the bike yet, but in the meanwhile mounted some nice parts on it.

New Motoz Tractionator Enduro S/T tyres, KTM enduro skidplate, VHM cylinderhead with nr F dome, AXP radiatorguards, Renthal grips and barpad, KTM shocksocks, orange Samco carburator venthoses and an orange hour meter.

There still are some orange billet parts and a pair of swingarm graphics on their way :)

Right now there's a SXS exhaust on it, which I like to change to a Gnarly over time...we'll see.

Curing from a MTB crash....so I hope to get a ride on her soon!

Edited by Daniello
  • Like 1

That is a beautiful bike, I also recently went from Blue to Green for a bit to Orange and I am staying orange for a while me thinks!

Congrats, can't wait to see it dirty!

Sometimes I wonder if I'm missing out on something?

I've always liked progression, but when u see the YZ 250 mostly unchanged since 2005' and the KX 250 finished in 08, same with the RM......u start to wonder if a new 250 2 stroke Is really any better than what you've already got?

Is it worth spending $$$$ to get a 2015 250 2 stroke? Is KTM really progressing forwards with the SX250???

Should I just stick with my 07 CR250 and keep refining it? It still feels like its power and handling are up to date with the other 250 2 stroke mx bikes......

Obviously the 2015 CRF450 is a weapon that will out perform my CR in every aspect.......but I'm only talking 250 2 strokes here!!

Any opinions?

Hi Sandy,

I think you're right about that (carburator models) 2 strokes are not significantly better than the ones which came on the market say 2005-2008.

But me changing from the Kawa to the Honda and now to the KTM at first didn't had to do anything with the thought 'a newer 2 stroke is more developed'. It was the steering from the Kawa and the powerdelivery from the Honda which wasn't / feeled to my likings. Whiles the reviews of the KTM were that good on the net (good handling and a broad strong powerband throughout the revs, although the OEM silencer kills the top revs), and I like the looks of the 2007-2010 model, made me sell the Honda (and also me owning a bike a whole year is long, I wanted something new).

When I get the chance of riding it, I'll report back to you which things I like/don't like about the bike.

(Selling price Honda = Purchase price KTM ;) )

Edited by Daniello

It has really only been the chassis that has progressed, power wise not much has changed in almost a decade on the 250's and KTM for quite a while was the only one furthering the chassis setups keeping pace with their 4 stroke chassis.

+1 Ever since the Japanese went to aluminum frames, the bikes are a nightmare to work on.

Last sunday I got the chance to ride the new bike, and I have to say....this is what I was looking for :)

The bike rips like my former KX250, and handles even a slight bit better than my former CR250!

This thing is so smooth and yet a beast to ride, there's torque there whenever you want it.

And to mention, the PJ and the MJ where a slight bit too large (NOZF 45 and 175 --> gonna be a 40 and 170 next time)

You will love the KTM. Years ago I went from Blue to butterscotch (1996) and 3 years later got the 4 stroke bug so went back to blue. Now years later back on orange. Bringing the fun back to riding.

Edited by Jekel
  • Like 1